Low PH and High Alkilinity. Help please.

elundgr

Membership Expired
Relatively new 24G nano. 24 lbs Live Rock and 20 lbs aragalive. Get my water from Dallas North Aquarium. Tank is 2.5 weeks old. My PH is always 7.8-7.9 I tested Alkilinity and it was 130 mg/L which the book says is too high.

What should I do?

Unfortunately, just a test kit. I was already planning to do a big 20% water change tomorrow to see the affects of that. I also just tested calcium and it is pretty high - in the 500 range.

So PH = 7.9
Alk = 130 meg/L
Calcium = 500-500

I am going to have to agree with Matt on the test. I am battling a Alk/Ca issue at the moment so I am testing my tank on a daily basis. My test kit, Salifert, only goes to 5.7 meq/L. Even if I did a low resolution test it would only be 11.42 meq/L.

It is important to test around the same time of the day for comparable results. My tank has a current PH swing from 7.8 in the morning to 8.3 in the evening.

Something weird is going on. My test kit's book says that 105-125 is the optimum range for saltwater aq. and you guys are talking about 5-12. Maybe mine is by a factor of ten or something? It is a Hagen kit.

Thanks. I had 5 gallons of DNA water on hand so I just did a 5 gallon ( that ends up about 25%) water change. Probably a lot but it was the first one since cycling. I will test again and rpobably try someone else's water next time. I don't want to make my own. Anyone got any suggestions for good places close by?

Eric