Low Alk issues.

Heath

Membership Expired
Ok, here it goes, the thread I didn't want to make. My alkalinity is currently low, none of my corals are struggling at the moment, but its not right and its bothering me.
Alk- 6.7 dkh Salifert
pH-7.8-8 API
Calc-460 API
Mag- 1400 ELOS

Im using B-Ionic alkalinty solution to try and raise it, but when I drip it into a high flow area of my sump, it looks like a snow flurry and doesnt appear like its easily dissolving. The other issue is that after a few days of dosing per the bottle, it hasnt done squat to raise my alk.

So, whats going on here? I'm a bit confuzzled.

My situation is similar to yours, only my alk is stuck at about 9.2. My parameters match yours otherwise, except I am using baked baking soda. It doesn't look to be precipitating, but alk isn't going up either. I want the alk around 10, or 10.5.

David

My guess the cause is from your
Calcium being on the high side. Think of ca and alk as a teeter totter if Ca is way high then alk is will be low.

To raise alk cheaply. Use baking soda to raise alk slowly or buy some alk buffer. Once it is back where you want it then go back to bionic. If you want to raise ph and alk bake the baking soda first to turn it into soda ash.

That is normal for alk to turn cloudy when dosed into the tank from my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try dissolving it in ro before adding it to the tank if you're worried. Also double check your test results... the salifert alk test seems to be a bit flaky for me because of the blue solution. It's drip isn't consistent for me.

You're in zone 4. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry#section-1

I suspect your calcium level is significantly higher than your think it is or your salinity is greater than 35ppt, or both.

no, ive tested my calcium and mag several times and got consistent readings. i have an ato so my sg is a sready 1.025.

i will test the alk again when i get home. thanks for the help everyone.

Tapatalk

Well, your tests are saying one thing and the fact that your additions are precipitating instantly says another. In situations like this, I generally start changing the water.

+1.......I agree with this, there is some definite imbalance. You can do larger percentage wc's to get thing's closer but I would get the parm's reverified first.

Cheers,

One thing I've learned is when trying to increase ALK with a product that raises ph - a lot of times the localized spike in ph causes precipitation.

I'd recommend using baking soda solution to increase ALK. This will only temporary drop ph, but also allow you to increase ALK w/o the precipitation.

Then continue using you other solution for ALK maintenance.

The refractometer hasnt been calibrated for some time, so I will get on that when I get home. Im using seachem reef salt, and I will be testing that when I get home as well. T

Just FYI if you are using calibration fluid for your refractometer put the bottle in your sump for couple minutes to warm up to tank temp then calibrate it per what I have been reading on r2r. Not sure if it makes a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok.

I calibrated my refractometer, there was no variance. The tank is at 1.025.

I mixed up a small batch of fresh salt to 1.025 and tested it. Here are the results:
pH-8.4
Calcium-460
Alk-8 dKh

Then I retested the tank:
pH 7.8 to 8
Calcium is 440-460
Alk is still at 6.7
Mag is 1100

The biggest difference is the Mag. I dont know how I got such a big variance between the previous test and this one.

david, I used salifert for my Alk test.

Im going to go bake some baking soda. Ive been meaning too for while.

@Heathd wrote:
david said:
OK, when you use Seachem Reef salt mix, don't you have to use a Seachem alk test kit to get an accurate reading, because of the boosted boron levels in the Seachem mix? I wish that I could really understand this!

David

i dont know, thats a good question. i thought you just had to subtract the boron component from the test value.

Tapatalk

@Heathd wrote:
i dont know said:
Oh, yeah, OK! Is that what you did to get your posted test results? OK, I see! How much did you subtract?

Thanks for sharing!

David

Heath- Any update to this?

I can't get my Alk to get off of 6. I'm about to get a Hanna checker to verify these test kit levels.