Lost my 1st Seahorse today :(

nickihn

Premium Member
Be SURE to cheescloth or use a fine mesh near overflows and pumps!!!! Actually thinking of using a mass of cheato up there now instead of cheescloth so if anyone has solutions to share let me know.

Been raising them nearly 5 months now and thought I had my new tank proofed. The slats on my internal overflow (while very small) were just big enough for a tail and 1/3 of the body on a juvenile Kellogi :(...

I had 2 Kellogi's that really liked to play in the current up near the overflows. One of them would get stuck every once in a while but sideways and never had a problem with it causing damage or severe stress. I thought they had learned to stay clear but evidently it was just too much fun to ride the wave....

I feel your pain.
I use a very porous sponge to prevent this. It doesn't fully work. Most are able to escape pretty easily and don't do it again. I stopped buying seahorses that are under 3inches for this reason. This is also a problem with small pipe fish. I have had several find their way to my sump.

Sorry about your loss [smilie=sadsmile.gif] Just wondering though how was breeding the Kelloggi's? Iv got one and am looking into getting another and hopefully breading them. How big were yours when they first started to mate? Thanks