Load bearing walls

[Look for roof trusses or joists that are tied into the wall. IE all exterior walls are load bearing.]

[stuff sitting on it. Using it as a support. You will be able to tell. You need to support the wall anyway for the 2x4s you will cut out.]

[Load-Bearing Walls

Exterior walls that carry ceiling, roof or upper floor loads to the foundation are load bearing or "bearing" walls. Internal walls that support joists at mid span and transfer loads down to foundations are also bearing walls. Bearing walls usually have perpendicular joists or rafters crossing or resting on top of them and foundations underneath them. An exception are the end walls of a gable-roofed house; these usually run parallel to rafters and joists but must bear the weight of extensive wall framing.

Wind and seismic loads, which produce lateral stresses on a house, are managed by tightly interlocking framing members. Plywood sheathing or wood or metal crossbracing interconnect framing members, creating a sturdy triangular form and-together with foundation bolts-lock walls to foundation. The roof is protected from wind uplift by steel strapping.

This is the article I used to help with the placement of my tank.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/aquarium_weight.php

and here is the calculations I used for a 75G tank with Rock and Water.

Total Weight Calculation

Tank Weight - 60lbs
Water Weight - 625.5 (75 Gallons)(8.24)
Rock Weight - 140lbs
Density of Rock - 160pcf
Size - (140/160) = .8 cubic ft in size

The "bouyant weight" of rock is the weight of the rock minus the weight of the water that it displaces. So the rock has added (.8)(160-62.4) = 78.8 lbs to the aquarium weight.

Now the water in the aquarium weighs (75)(8.34) - (.8)(62.4) = 575.58lbs. So if the aquarium stand weighs 100lbs and the hood is 50lbs. The calculation should be:

60lbs (Tank) + 575.58 lbs (Water) + 140lbs (Rock) + 150lbs (Tank/Hood) = 925.58 lbs (Total Weight)

Hope it helps... :beer:]

Edited By blide on 1102522443

[Chris, before you make any chances, get someone to come out and confirm that it is safe. You really don't want to make this mistake.

I had a club member that builds homes come out to confirm what I already believed, and still had quite a few debate my plans over on Reef Central. My home is built with trusses, rather than stick framing. What that means is that I could remove all the interior walls of my home, and the house would still stand with the roof supported on the outer four walls.

But even then, cutting out those uprights for the new tank made me hold my breath. :suspect:]