Livestock Suggestions

JRM2468

Premium Member
Looking for suggestions on what fish we could add to a 35” x 27” x 23” (LxWxH). Not sure that the tank size will allow Anthius but was thinking that we might be able to get away with Chromis. We aren’t very well versed in SW fish so any suggestions are appreciated even if they aren’t Chromis / Anthius.

We currently have the below in the aquarium now.

Juvenile Foxface
Juvenile Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Juvenile Flame fin Tomni
Juvenile Six line rasse
Canary Blenny
Mandarin Dragonet

Looking for suggestions on what fish we could add to a 35” x 27” x 23” (LxWxH). Not sure that the tank size will allow Anthius but was thinking that we might be able to get away with Chromis. We aren’t very well versed in SW fish so any suggestions are appreciated even if they aren’t Chromis / Anthius.

We currently have the below in the aquarium now.

Juvenile Foxface
Juvenile Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Juvenile Flame fin Tomni
Juvenile Six line rasse
Canary Blenny
Mandarin Dragonet

I'm not a chromis fan, but that is just me. Anthias are more delicate and most have problems keeping them due to their particular needs... but if there is an anthias that speaks to your heart and you are willing to put in the work to meet its requirements, by all means go for it!

One of the things I enjoy is learning about different fish. Kelly of Robert's Reef was telling me about Springi damsels, that are not like typical damsels - she said they stock these 'peaceful' fish. I've no personal experience with those particular ones. Eventually I want to get by there and watch them for a while at LFS.

Online, I've stumbled across Talbot's damsels which sound like something I/you might want to try.

Outside of the chromis/anthias you mention above, there are lots of small fish options. since your Foxface and 2 tangs will grow to 6-8 inches in about a 60 gallon tank. I'm partial to Hector's goby, court jester (aka rainford goby), and I used to always suggest dartfish/firefish (I'm partial to (in my preference order) traditional red, purple or male. helfrichi (due to color - female save $150 and just go purple firefish, in my opinion which is why I rank purple before helfrichi))

Not that I am suggesting ordering from online, but online can help with research. Marine fish books used to help us find fish. This is an online saltwater store that lists common fish with some guidelines:

Dallas North Aquarium has paper flyers on fish stocking suggestions. I've suggested they make those electronic but last I heard/saw still just paper. There is a colored paper rack in their dry goods area, near (on) the closest aquariums to dry goods. I went past it for years without noticing it. Other flyers are for other suggestions.

I tried the shoal of Chromis a few times, and it did not go well. I researched again this year and found that the Talbot's Damsel (Chrysiptera talboti) may not be as aggressive toward each other. I may try them soon.