Live rock question - So many choices

JumboAg99

Membership Expired
[I'm going to be needing a whole lot of live rock for my new 90 gallon. My plan is to post a WTB here when I'm ready to actually put rock in the tank. Also, I think I'm going to buy some online from various retailers.

Anybody have recommendations on who to use online? Also, I wasn't planning on buying all of what I'll need together. I think I want to mix and match from various retailers to get some diversity. Is that a bad idea? Will the tank look like crap if I have different variants of rock in it? What type of LR am I looking for? etc... etc... etc...

BTW - Looks like I scored on a skimmer online. Getting a slightly used EV-180. Got a good deal on it.]

[Fiji is what you find at most LFS. Tonga tends to be branches and sometimes flat shelves to put corals on.

I've never ordered any LR online.]

[There's certainly nothing wrong with diversity. I don't think it would look odd at all, besides after awhile, it will all be covered in coralline anyway. Which leads me to my next point... After a while, it will all be covered in coralline anyway. :) I'd save the money you'll spend on shipping using many different vendors and buy something else for the tank. Get LR and LS from club members to add the diversity. Just my .02.]

[I really like fiji because it is very porous and not as dense. You usually get more rock per lb. I like the look of fiji, tonga slab, and tonga branch all mixed together.]

[Big Stun is right on the money about the Fiji rock. 100 lbs. of Fiji is a lot more rock then 100 lbs Tampa Bay Saltwater's Florida rock.]

[Marshall Island is the only way to fly if your willing to spend the money. Fiji is bricks by comparison.]