liquid phosphate remover

Catjuggler

Premium Member
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone had any exp with any liquid phosphate remover. If you have any good brands let me know

I've tried Brightwell Aquatics Phosphat-E with zero success. The only thing that worked for me was running GFO and it took a few months of constant changing ($$$$).

@unttrmptplyr wrote:
I've tried Brightwell Aquatics Phosphat-E with zero success. The only thing that worked for me was running GFO and it took a few months of constant changing ($$$$). said:
I am the opposite I have used it with it lowering my phosphates I pour it straight into my skimmer. Lowers it instantly over night

I use Phosphate Control, and overnight I have zero. I've also used Phosbuster Pro with the same results. You have to have a good skimmer going, and if you want a filtersock as well.

Pampee and Marc - is there any danger of SPS RTN with the rapid drop in phosphates?

My phosphates weren't that high anyways so it wasn't a shock in my system

Years ago, my PO4 was reading 3.0+ PPM so I was concerned about dropping it too fast. At the same time, I was losing corals to high PO4 levels so it was a wash.

Now if my PO4 measures .1 to .25ppm or slightly higher, I dose and bring it back down to zero. I probably dose every other month.

@kuyatwo wrote:
My phosphates weren't that high anyways so it wasn't a shock in my system said:
@Marc wrote:
Years ago said:
Thanks, Marc/Pampee. I don't mean to hijack this thread so please feel free to PM if you'd prefer, but what Phosphate test kit are you using? I use the Salifert and have always gotten a zero reading. I've also used the API test kit with similar results. I know I've got to have some as I've got algae growing.

I use Salifert. I also have Elos, D&D, and something else in my batch of kits.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I have read that you should only drop 1. per day or you could shock the critters.
Im gonna go ahead and order some, I think it will be easier then using the absorption media and cheaper.
My ro/di unit was putting out a tds of 89 and i did about month worth of top off and didnt notice. I went and got my phos checked and it was the same in my tank and from my ro/di unit. AT least i know where the phosphates were coming from. I have changed my filters,membrane and resin and im back to 0 tds so as soon as i can get rid of these phosphates ill be right as rain. Thanks again everyone and if anyone else has some stories about liquid phoshate remover i would love to hear it

So i did some more research about liquid phosphate remover and found out that some people have had success with seaKlear pool phosphate remover. I found a few forums where someone used it in there reef tank without killing anything, so i called a sales rep for seaKlear and he said they it sale to seaworld for there tanks and is nontoxic and he had used it with tanks before with success and failures. He said it went wrong when he put to much in and it killed everything and that it worked perfect when he did it right. The person that i read about using it had the same size 90 gallon tank as me and used 10 ml diluted with 5g sw and dripped into his skimmer overnight.I also read that some people were just adding it to the skimmer undiluted. I figured i go with half dose and straight into my skimmer without diluting it.The tank got a little cloudy like when you add A and B, and then cleared up within a hour. I haven't tested again for phosphates but within 2 hours my corals that haven't opened in a week or two started to open up again. I will test tomorrow and let you how it worked out.

@Catjuggler wrote:
So i did some more research about liquid phosphate remover and found out that some people have had success with seaKlear pool phosphate remover. I found a few forums where someone used it in there reef tank without killing anything said:
Interesting. Let us know how your test goes. Just curious - what made you try the seaKlear? Is it cheaper? Or more readily available?

@joelq wrote:
Interesting. Let us know how your test goes. Just curious - what made you try the seaKlear? Is it cheaper? Or more readily available? said:
I found a forum where someone had used that particular brand and since it was for pool use i wanted to make sure someone had done it first.The bottle that i got at rec warehouse was for 14.99 for a 16oz bottle and is super concentrated. The brightwells liquid phosphate remover goes for 27.99 at Exotic Aquatics for a 8oz bottle and is super diluted. Im really broke and i need to find a cheap way to get rid of my phosphates.

To update nothing was dead today but there was some white stuff covering some of the algae on the back wall. I did expect this thou because thats what happens when the remover bonds with the phosphate. At least that was what i was told would happen. I used a turkey baster and blew it off everything and i think my filter caught it. My corals seemed the same as yesterday but some of the yellow star polyps were not open, other then that everything seemed the same. Im going to test tomorrow and i will post results

Here's a good write-up on using the SeaKlear product. http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/foiling-phosphate

Cheers,

@bimmerzs wrote:
Here's a good write-up on using the SeaKlear product. http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/foiling-phosphate Cheers said:
Thanks that was a good read.

Update: I went to neptunes today to get a reading on my phosphates and im at or around 0.1 ppm. I threw a bag of phosguard in there to clear up the rest. So i went from a dark blue and i dont know what number it was at to 0.1 in 24 hours with the seaklear phosphate remover. Im not going to use it again unless i get real high in phosphates. IT did seem to work really well for removing phosphates fast, but i fear for the longevity of my tank so i will stick to easier forms of removal.
I also checked my ph and i was around 6 so i dont know if it had to do with the remover but i dont believe it was like that before. hopefully i wont see any other negative effects from the remover but only time will tell. I will keep you guys updated if anything else arises

The pdf version is actually better...it's got pic's so even I can follow along. [smilie=wink.gif] [smilie=rofl.gif]

Cheers,

Any product that is lanthanum chloride based such as Blue Life will work but should be dosed into a fine filter sock of 10 micron or a diatom filter. The product will precipitate and can get into the DT. The fine precipitants can be a problem with small fish this will also cause cloudy water. I have a large tank with very high phosphates so just ordered a diatom filter so hopefully will work?