Lighting for 50gallon reef

natas

Membership Expired
[Ok guys,
I am sure everyone here has come close to pulling out all there hair when trying to decide on proper lighting for a reef tank.

I am having Marc build me a sump and I am pretty well covered on everything else.

So with that in mind what do you guys suggest? I am looking to spend no more then $350 for my light setup. I am starting to think that MH combined with VHO or PC maybe the best way to go. I found this setup just now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....9864167

That setup seems to be just right. I plan to put the heavy lighting required corals at the top, and low light guys at the bottom.

Anyone else have any opinions? My tank is 20inches deep and 30inches long.]

[I think you need a single 250w bulb for that tank's dimensions. 175w will work, but growth would be slower.]

[Hey tesfeld,
I see that your in Carrollton. I live about 2-3 miles away from Carrollton (I actually grew up in carrollton and went to Newman Smith High School).

If you don't mind, I would love to stop by your place sometime and check out your lights]

[Tesfeld,

Did you buy a canopy from them? If so, could you possibly email me a pic of the canopy over your tank (jerone_h@yahoo.com)? I was thinking of buying one of their canopies. I couldn't find any shots on their website that showed one installed. Thanks.]

[Natas, just give me a call sometime Sunday (469-831-0799cell)

I only bought the 2x250W kit that comes with a 4 foot reflector. I "edited" the reflector with tin snips and attached it, with venting, to the lids on my oceanic bowfront canopy.

I'm getting another digital camera today and will try to put it to use by tomorrow.]