LEDS for Actinic suppliment

@CaravanShaka wrote:
Here is what I think may be a good option for you. go with the 72"x1" heatsink said:
If I do this I will probably do the Cree's. And go with with the plan you outlined above. How do I waterproof the LEDs though?

This may be on hold for right now though, just payed a dedcutable, plus some extra work, from my house being flooded from the tiolet and then last night I woke up to an 85 degree house, so who knows how much the A/C will cost. The house is just going on 8 years old too.

@ss95003 wrote:
[I]@CaravanShaka wrote:[/I][quote="Here is what I think may be a good option for you. go with the 72"x1" heatsink said:
If I do this I will probably do the Cree's. And go with with the plan you outlined above. How do I waterproof the LEDs though?

This may be on hold for right now though, just payed a dedcutable, plus some extra work, from my house being flooded from the tiolet and then last night I woke up to an 85 degree house, so who knows how much the A/C will cost. The house is just going on 8 years old too."]

Ouch, that doesn't sound fun :(
Hope you get your house cooled off soon!

As far as waterproofing, you could do an acrylic shield bolted to the heatsink using stand-offs, but that is a long thin piece of acrylic that may not be easy to find (might contact Marc, he may have a scrap that size).

Yea I can do a |_| shaped piece of acrylic on and attach with stand offs to the sides of the heatsink. Does sound like a Marc Project.

Only thing is i have always been the type of person to over build then under wondering if 24 LEDS will be enough.

@ss95003 wrote:
If I do this I will probably do the Cree's. And go with with the plan you outlined above. How do I waterproof the LEDs though? said:
There's an LED Seal spray that a lot of folks seem to use. Since all my emitters have optics glued on, I just used clear nail polish to coat the exposed connections, but I tend to mount mine pretty high out of the splash zone.

Can I run 28 with 2 of these drivers? 28 cree royal blues if that mattes. How do you know if it can run 8 or 14, or somewhere in bwtween?

Mean Well ELN-60-48D dimmable driver
0 ~ 1.3A current range
24-48V DC Voltage (runs ~8-14 LEDs)

I saw this linear DIY build and it looks nice, just another option.

Most everything there is on the first page. Lots of pics too.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1952442

I just need to know how many leds I can put on that mean well dimmable driver, or how that is determined.

Depends on which led and model you go with as some leds draw more mA than others that will tell how many LEDs you can go with.

@ss95003 wrote:
I just need to know how many leds I can put on that mean well dimmable driver said:
I know about enough about electronics to know which end of the soldering iron to grab (usually :); I'm sure the proper answer is a lot more detailed and nuanced than this, but...

As I understand it, the theory is that you need to look at the data sheet and see what the forward voltage of the LED is at the current level you want to run; for example, a Cree XP/E RB is 3.5v at 1000ma. The sum of the forward voltages of the string needs to be less than the voltage rating of the driver -- for that example, 13 of them would be 45.5v, and 14 would be 49v, or one volt over the rating of an ELN-60-48D.

In practice, I've been given to understand that some individual LEDs draw slightly more or less, and that it can vary with the operating temperature, so I've always decided to stick with 12 on mine to just to keep it simple, but I'm not sure how much it matters or what happens if you go slightly over.