LED Spectrum shift?

mikebow16

Premium Member
I purchased a Steve's LEDs kit in July 2010 running 8 hours a day. When I first installed the lights my mushrooms disappeared (no complaints). About a month ago mushrooms started to grow again and many of my zoas started to re grow. To me this indicates that the intensity or spectrum has changed.

Has anyone else notice a similar change?

Or did the shrooms and Zoas just now get accustomed to the new lights. I bet the LEDs haven't changed any. Did you measure their lux in the beginning?

The LEDs par may have been a light shock for them and needed time to acclimate to the increase in light intensity. the same thing happens when you wait to long to change MH or T5 bulbs. with additions to lights or lighting changes it is better to cut down the light cycle by a few hours and every week or so add a little time to the cycle until you reach the desired light cycle time. But in the case of LEDs you can turn down the power to 40-50% then slowly raise the power every week or two to reduce the effects of light shock.

I would agree about intensity shock if it did not happen 18 months later. I did have some die off when I first installed the lights but after a month it was stable.

Mike

That's the funny thing about zoas and shrooms. You think they are dead but will spring back to life months later. Good LEDs should never color shift unless your overdriving them too far past their limit. There maybe an underlying problem other then the lights if they were just dormant this long. But look on the bright side you got your corals back.