LED Lights

Crotalus

Premium Member
I got to measure my tank lighting last week.  I was very surprised how low the light really was.I had 90PAR 1" into the water and 20 on the sand.My lights consisted of 2 - 72" Reef Bright LimuLites (one blue and one 50/50)  and 2 - 36" Current USA.  Compounding the problem was the lights were about 14" above the tank.  I lowered the lights in the fixture to the bottom of the box and now the lights are 4" above the water.  I also added a 72" Reef Bright XHO (50/50) fixture.  I also found out I was losing 25PAR through the Egg Crate cover.  I bought some screen material, the most open I could find and it was 10PAR worse than the Egg Crate.  I bought some 1/8" lexan and made clear covers.  They fog up but after the lights have been on for an hour or so the fog goes away.  It also has dramatically reduced evaporation.  Now I am at 160PAR at the 6" level down to 60 at the sand.  This should be enough for my softies and LPS.  I have no plans for SPS in the near future.  The Xenia that's been just sitting there for most of a year has suddenly perked up, started to thicken, and is pulsing like mad. I think I would like to get rid of one LumiLite 50/50 and switch to an all blue.  Too much white in the tank.Time will tell.

Thanks for sharing!Some LEDs produce a ton of light, some that use those small 1 watt or less diodes produce very little unfortunately. But I think you're spot on with the PAR numbers for LPS and softies, they should do well at those numbers.I know it's crazy but one of my favorite corals is still Xenia, I love the way they pulse and move in the current. I had a tank once that the Xenia took over and out competed some caulerpa! It was pretty incredible to see the whole tank pulsing though. Do you have a tank thread somewhere? Love to see an LPS and softie tank!

The only coral with a negative reaction was a Frogspawn.  It initially retracted to 1/2 it's normal size then decided to spread back out after a few days.  My torch is 30% longer.  Some palythoas are recovering.  The zoanthas, that were already on the way out, haven't reacted at all.  I will replace them with something else this Sunday.  Maybe try a mushroom or two.I'll put some pictures together soon.

I used to have kessils but switched to AI Hydra 26's and they really put out light, I made the mistake of sitting one unit on a towel and within a minute or two the towel had burn marks on it. I run mine at about 65-70% max and have 300-400 on most tops of rock and a good 125-100 on sand bed.

Lexan is a brand name for polycarbonate.  Both look like clear plastics, although polycarb is not as brittle when cutting as acrylic IME.  They also have different responses to water (absorption, warping), thermal, and light absorption.  When I made the lids for me 300 (planted fresh) Marc advised me to use polycarb (for the lids, not for sumps and things) because they would bow less due to moisture differences inside vs. outside the tank.Both plastics run a risk of filtering out your UV depending on how they are made, although this may be acceptable depending on the degree.Yes, high output LED's put out a ton of light.  As an example a Radion on a PHX14 schedule is somewhere around 120w, ie a small aquarium heater, concentrated on two little pucks.

Posted by: jccaclimber Lexan is a brand name for polycarbonate.  Both look like clear plastics said:
Sounds like what I need.  Just need a small piece to cover one corner about 24"  Where can I buy this and how do you cut it?Thanks

I cut it with about anything.  I've used hack saws (blade was a bit too fine), wood saws, a scroll saw, a coping saw once because it's all I had, a mill, and a radial arm saw.  Basically treat it like wood.  Dwell for a *really* long time and you can melt it like anything else, but that's generally not an issue.I usually get my plastic from Allied Plastic Supply: 10828 Shady Trail, Dallas, TX 75220, but they are near one of the suppliers I occasionally use at work.  Be aware that they charge by how many places in a 12" x 12" grid are required.  So, a 12" x 12" piece will be the same price as a 6" x 6" piece.  12" x 13" would be roughly double (it takes 2 squares) and a 13"x 13" piece would be about the same as a 24"x 24" piece.  As a result when I have them cut to size I ask for the scraps that fill out their grid.Also, they are a commercial place, so you call your order in, then generally pick it up a day or two later.  They might promise to call back, but don't wait on that.  I find them very easy to work with, but not in the typical catering to the public sort of way. 

With power tools it's pretty easy to end up melting the plastic.  Try slowing your blade speed down and taking a couple lighter cuts of partial depth each.  It also sands pretty well against a block if you need to square it up.

Lowes will cut it to size for you. I went from Egg Crate, to screen, to lexan.  The screen (like a screen door) blocks the most light.  Egg Crate blocks less.  Lexan blocks the least, but it is a pain to keep clean.I made new tops out of 1/4" clear screen last night and I am VERY please with the result. Mark 

CrotalusDid you get everything at one store? If so what store did u get the material from ?

I know it's crazy but one of my favorite corals is still Xenia, I love the way they pulse and move in the current. I had a tank once that the Xenia took over and out competed some caulerpa! It was pretty incredible to see the whole tank pulsing though.