Leaking Pipe

Well crap! I looked under the tank and the return line had a drip right in the middle! Which is really frustrating because it's been running for over a month with no issues. After cutting it out it seems the joint where the flex PVC was glued in was not all the way in and I guess over time the pressure started the drip.

Anyone know a trick to fix a pipe right in the middle?

Here's a pic of what it looks like:

The easy fix is that plastic tape-wrap stuff they show on TV that swears it'll stop any leak.

The less easy fix is to redo that spot.

I plan on redoing the spot and I've actually cut it out, but since the opposite ends are connected to the bulkheads there's not much room to work. I guess I could put some 90's in there to close the gap?

I guess I am not understanding what you mean about fixing a pipe right in the middle.
I can't see any straight pipe circled.
If the 2 ends of a straight pipe cannot be moved to glue, then maybe a union will work?

When a piece of Spaflex drips that is glued into a critical fitting I can't remove, I cut the spaflex with a dremel on opposite sides, creating two "slices" inside the fitting. Then using needlenose pliers, I'll grab some of the spaflex and twist the pliers to curl the rubbery material away from the walls of the fitting. It takes time, but I've done this a few times.

A plumber suggested using a matching bore drill bit (like to make a hole for a doorknob) to eat away the plumbing in the fitting. I've never tried that method.

If you reuse any PVC fitting remove all the old glue! If you don't the primer may not penetrate the pipe. Many people do not realize that glue and primer make a two part chemical weld. I have found on spa flex that blue glue helps penetrate better. It can be found at home depot. Called rain or shine I believe.

I talked with a plumber at HD earlier and he recommend the Rain or Shine so I bought some and plan to use it.

It's hard to tell in the pic but it was leaking on the right side of the T fitting and so when I cut it out there's a void and I was trying to find a way to put it back together. Since it's spaflex I'm hoping I can bend it enough to fit in a slip adapter.

I think I got it all back together the way it was in the first place. Since I was using the flex pvc I was able to cut it long and bend it to close the void.

Oh and the Rain and Shine stuff seem to work pretty good and wow that stuff is bright blue! I still used primer as recommended and I'll probably use the Rain and Shine from now one since it works best for wet applications.

Bill, sorry to hear about the leak, but hey, you learnt from it.

Care to post a pic of the Rain/Shine product, would be helpful, since HD floor staff are scarce in many instances. [smilie=rofl.gif]

PVC fittings designed for drainage have 1/2" sockets, while plumbing to run under pressure have 1" sockets. It's important to note this when shopping for parts.