Lance's 215 Build Log

Re the putty and skimmers, it seems to be the brand of putty. I never had a problem with the green stuff, but TLF or the other purple one? Skimmer went nuts.

@Sleepingtiger wrote:
MBSL55: can i borrow your MP40W? I can return it sometime in 2016 if that is ok with you. [smilie=rofl.gif] said:
Sure, just bring me an Apex. I could use another one. [smilie=wink.gif]

If you use too much putty in a single session, it can affect the skimmer. Try letting the skimmer run, dumping the watery skimmate while adding saltwater to replenish what is lost, and in a few hours it should settle back down.

Sounds like great customer service.

Marc's got you covered on the putty issue. A couple of different speakers at MACNA discussed this in their aquascaping presentations. Pretty common when using the putty apparently.

@hoopsdaddy wrote:
Sounds like great customer service. Marc's got you covered on the putty issue. A couple of different speakers at MACNA discussed this in their aquascaping presentations. Pretty common when using the putty apparently. said:
I wanted to see those presentations but each time I was out drinking $1 Margaritas and looking at coral...thanks to Marc

@K_Red_Raider wrote:
I wanted to see those presentations but each time I was out drinking $1 Margaritas and looking at coral...thanks to Marc said:
No problem. That was on purpose.
drinking_shots.gif
alt="">

Visiting Laser tonight... Tank is looking really good.

[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363567397.886265.jpg[/attachment]

Marc

Thanks for Marc's tutorial with my Nikon camera I can finally take a picture that does not look like I have a blue filter on the lens!! I will be experimenting and posting pics of some of the frags in the coming days. All the corals have really colored up now and are starting to grow a bit. My battle against AEFW has been successful and I was able to save about 25 LE acro frags. I had to remove all acros out of the display and move to new QT
system. I dipped coral in bayer on a weekly basis for 6 weeks while acros were in QT and starved the AEFW in the main system. I did continuous water changes during that time on the display as the AEFW died off to improve water quality. Frags are now all back in display and mounted. I may have room for 1 or 2 more!!
Last build for the fish room will be to replace the current QT/frag system ( a 29 gal bio) and get a frag system in place. It will be run independent of main display by common apex by utilizing a second PM1, EB8, and a VDM Module for the LED's. Once I get the frag tank completed and in place I will add a chiller to the system to finalize.

Wow, that is a serious amount of frags. I have been to nice stores that didn't have that many frags available. Sounds like you are about ready to open for business!!!

@hoopsdaddy wrote:
Wow said:
I am having a frag tank system built to replace the QT that has been temporarily in place. With that many acros I will have to keep them trimmed up when they start growing out. My wife is in charge of all of the frags (kind of the deal I made with her when replacing everything) so she is excited to get them going to have a little spending money for the kids!!

Final Build Update:
QT Tank Replacement:
Frag tank will be cutom built acrylic 36"x18"x12" with a center overflow. I am having a sump built with the same footprint (minus the steel tubing stand legs) that will house liverock for filtration, Reef Octopus 2000sss skimmer, TLF reactors for GFO and Carbon, Eheim 1250 return pump, heater, and probes. I picked up another Bubble Magus doser that will be utilized for the frag system and it will feed directly into sump as well. I will have a remote DSB/Refugium connected to the sump (size 22x12x16). I am remoting it due to space and the ability to shut off DSB for cleanout when needed. I will use the existing MH 70W 20K and supplement with my current Rapid LED DYI which has an array of blue, royal blue, and UV. Flow will be provided by a MP40. All will controlled by main Apex unit.
MY QT tank served its purpose and saved many acros that would have been lost to AEFW ( did I mention to always dip all your frags in Bayer no matter where they come from). So glad to have those nasties out of the house..I will be moving the nano to my sons room and adding a clown and anenome. Go figure huh..
Looking forward to finalizing the build in the next few weeks and getting on to posting some of the beautiful corals I have obtained.

[attachment=0]rrmulticolorgranulosa.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]rrlepinkfloydacropora.jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]rrchickenpox.jpg[/attachment]some eye candy of new frag additions

[attachment=0]Sabertoothacro.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]rrwierdbottlebrushform.jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]rrorangetippinkmillepora.jpg[/attachment]