Killing live rock loaded with mushrooms ???

OK I been fighting a mushroom tank take over more more then a year now. I am sick of pulling mushrooms for trade or trash. I just wanted them gone.

Soooo I set up a 10 gallon temp tank and move my coral and my one clown fish. Everything is look good. Although my huge hammer (20+ head) is now several med size seperate coral pieces. Same thing with my frogspawn but it only broke into. Which is fine, now I just have more pieces of coral.

I took all the rock out of my tank. I scrappped, chisseled, hammered all the mushrooms off some of the rocks that had a few mushrooms on them and placed them in a bucket with a power head. This was about a 1/3 of my rock.

Now the rest of my rock that was covered with mushrooms, I sat outside in the sun.

Now finally my question, How long before I have dead rock and everything including the mushrooms are gone, never to return?

PS: I also scraped all the mushooms off the glass of the tank and cleaned the sand as well.

I HATE MUSHROOMS!!!!

@rocketpop wrote:
Well thats one way to remove them.... though people report that if you can actually pull the rocks out into a separate tank that using Fluke Tabs will do the job too.

Other options people have used:

Kalk injected into the disc. (Or Joe's Juice)
Lemon Juice injected.
Vinegar injected.
Hot Water injected.

IF you dont mind having to recook everything, I'd give it the ole Chlorox bath(hour soak time) then soak it in ultra strong salt water in the sun for about 3 days. a Bit of amquel and rinse. then start curing it again. nothing will survive

Hi,

How about trading out with a LFS or better yet....find a newbie just starting up and trade out rock for rock. It would be a great first level coral for them and added biodiversity for your tank. :wink:

Cheers,

I will trade you rock for rock if you want... I have about 200 pounds of rock, 1 year established 150 gallon tank...

Sorry guys, I have been though all of this already. I just wanted to be done with it.

I know I had a few other options but I wanted it to end with these mushrooms, I almost just gave up on the whole tank and quit the hobby all together.

All my mushroom rocks have been outside in the sun for a day now. I'm thinking about a week or two should do the trick.

You better hurry before the sun goes away, i can feel it going away and the cold front coming, better get that free Humid heat while you can.

I brought them in already and I placed all my rock back into my tank. I am cycling now. After the shrooms dried out, I scraped them off the rocks so nothing remained.

Do you dose with iodine? What kind of setup do you have and what kind of mushrooms are taking over your tank? I have a hard time keeping mushrooms for some reason. the red ones in particular never last in in my current 150 and 33. Ricardia's are doing well though.

I never dosed anything and to tell you the truth I didn't take good care of the tank the last 6-7 months. I guess it was just the right condition for them to grow. I have a 37 gallon tank, with 150w sunpod and a bakpak skimmer.

They where these:

368_bluestripemushroom.jpg
alt="">

Why are you killing them you will get $$$ or credit at fish stores for the trade in ... don't just kill em :(

I did that for awhile but I could not keep up, I just was tired of dealing with them and they were taking over the whole tank.

They are gone now....

@rocketpop wrote:
They are gone for now.... said:
Had to fix that :) I've them survive 4 months in a trash can, no light and a stuck heater that 'cooked' the rock and made LR soup at about 100 degress overnight. They are persistent buggers.

I hope for good, I left them out in the Texas sun for about 2 days and then chipped them off the rock. I hope I got them ALL. If I see one reappear, I will have 45# of rocks for sale. LOL