kessils

So I was and still may looking at getting reef breeders photon 16 for my 22x22x15 I think that is the height might be 18. But I have talked to alot of people who are very satisfied with kessils and the look is more sleek than the reef builders. Life happens and I had to put the upgrade on hold but next month I get paid three times so I am getting them, so long as nothing unexpected pops up. what what am really wondering is the par on the a160s I dont have a very deep tank so im not too worried but I still would like to make sure they will grow sps well.

I have an a160we that I'm using on my nano tank, and plan to buy another one to use with it when I move everything to my bigger tank. I really like the light but don't have any PAR numbers for it. At 15" deep I don't think you'll have any problem at all with SPS. The a160we shows that it should cover 18"x18", though, so you'll be at the limit for that light as far as area goes. I think it would still work fine, though. It's a pretty intense little light. You might have to just make sure your corals are closer to the middle of the tank. [smilie=smile.gif]

I have t5s on both sides of my tank. I added a 150 deep ocean blue to the shallow side and everything LOVED it. The colors really came out. I then put a 360 on the deep side and it loved as well. I think the combination of t5s and the deep ocean blue is my favorite.

[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429130157.655681.jpg[/attachment]
Here's the pic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Detroit thanks honestly your tank made me reconsider kessils I had threw them out of my radar a while back but the colors in you tank were really great. Plus I found out the had a new line for being controlled that was the kicker to make me look back into them.

@Grant what size tank dimension do you have. On there website it said up to 24" but I figured it was off but by 6"?

@Trevicon colors look great and corals look happy thanks for the photo

Thank yall for commenting also how high do yall hang it about, I think it says 6" but jw what yall oreffer

3-360s on my 20" deep tank
[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429185094.963856.jpg[/attachment]

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

Ecko would you mind sharing what intensity you run them at? I'm always looking to see what others are having success with regarding these lights. I'm at 75%. Seems good but I could always tweak it a bit more.

@texasswangin214 wrote:
@Grant what size tank dimension do you have. On there website it said up to 24" but I figured it was off but by 6"? said:
I'm not sure where I saw the 18" coverage but after setting it up I don't think 24" is unrealistic. My current tank is a little Biocube 14 with the top removed, so it's about 12"x12" I think? But there's a lot of light spillover and I have the intensity turned way down. The planned use for the light is for my new tank, which is 36"x18"x18". It'll have two a160we's above it.

@DetroitRodeo wrote:
Ecko would you mind sharing what intensity you run them at? I'm always looking to see what others are having success with regarding these lights. I'm at 75%. Seems good but I could always tweak it a bit more. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk said:
[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429235128.751828.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429235148.435154.jpg[/attachment]

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

Thanks Eckolancer! I have mine ramp up to 75 for two hours then stay on for six and back down for two. Only running at 35% white at peak.

Texasswangin you are probably good with the 160's but on my 16" tank I feel like the 360's work well at the 75% power. They are 11-12 inches off the waters surface. So even if you had to run the 160's higher you are probably fine. Only thing to consider is it is probably better to turn down the 360 than to not have enough with the 160 (if that we're the case)

Old pic but shows the light placement
[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429239217.309227.jpg[/attachment]

@texasswangin214 wrote:
Thanks grant. I'll probly go with the kessil a 160. Would the 360 be overkill? And how high over the tank do yall place them said:
Mine is probably higher than it should be which is why I'm getting a lot of light spilling over outside the tank, but it's temporary and I didn't feel like adjusting the height of the hanging cables I used which had been from a previous light. My suggestion would be to hang it just high enough that the edges of the light spread hit the top edges of the tank, then adjust the intensity as needed based on that height. With your tank being that shallow you should have plenty of power to hang it however high you need to in order for it to cover the whole thing. You could use a 360 still, but I really think it would be overkill.

Thank yall for commenting, I will be going with the a160 with the controller. If I got the a360 I wouldn't be able to get the controller and I think you are right grant looking at tanks on YouTube I dont think I will have an issue. Now I just have to what for next month to get the money.