Karim's 1500gal conservatory (sunroom) reef

Karimwassef

Premium Member
I'm still in the planning stage, so this may be a 2018 build - most likely in Frisco.the display portion is 8' x 8' x 3' with an additional hidden section for circulation plumbing.I can get the glass, but I have never assembled a glass tank on this scale before. Anyone know of a reputable experienced tank builder in Dallas?I don't mean one of the fancy tank design houses that will buy the glass and deliver a finished tank.At this scale, the tank will likely need to be assembled on-site. I'll have the precut glass ready.I'd even fly a builder to Dallas for a few days if that's the best solution. It would still cost less than the premium houses.Any ideas?? Any references? 

New to the hobby, so I don't have any references, but I can't wait to see as you post more details! Do you have any drawings or mockups? 

Actually, my build thread detail is on reefcentralhttp://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2589632It's changed several times so far and I'm currently focused on buying the house, the greenhouse building structure, and the buried cooling loops.But planning ahead, I need a solution to the tank construction too.

oh - when I said "premium houses", I wasn't pointing to any one tank building company... just to be clear:)It's just that I tend to DIY and I have to pinch pennies to make a build this big happen... lots of hardcore pinching of pennies. So, I'm looking for help - that's all.

I know www.melevsreef.com is local in DFW. He does sumps.... He might do glass or at least know someone who does. You might also reach out to they guys at www.planetaquariums.com They do custom tanks, maybe they would be willing to make you a deal and help put it togeather still at a cheaper price. Let me know if you need help with the house or other contractors. I am a Realtor and would be happy to help in any way I can. p.s. Are you an engineer? This set up looks pretty impressive! (just went and skimmed through your build thread) 

I know Planet aquarium does custom tanks but not sure if they build them that big. DAS is based in Waxahachie, I know they are one of the fancy tank design places but it may be worth checking them out.I read your entire thread on RC the other day. Very impressive.

Yes. I'm an Engineer.. easy to spot, huh?Sure. I know Marc. We meet up on the yearly bus tours around Dallas. He's got a nice youtube page too.Here's hoping he wants in on a big project!! :)

Thanks Jeremy. My current tank is a 380 display, 660 system. Here's that threadhttp://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2545088&page=8That one was in design for three years before the first life came into it. I like to plan a loooong time ahead.

In the process of reading your plans for this tank and I am just glad you live in our area (and might be my neighbor soon) because I want to see this thing in person!  I wish I could convince my wife to let me spend this kind of money on my hobby!To help answer your question... I know that Planet Aquariums helped me when my tank leaked and fixed it in my home for an AMAZING price.  I also think you should look into a PVC bottom to help avoid all that extra weight of the bottom glass.  My bottom glass is an inch thick and the tank alone is almost 12oo lbs.  I know PA does a lot of PVC bottom tanks.Your attention to detail and focus on this plan makes me angry, lol!  I wish I had your mind when I was planing mine out.  I have friends (not reef friends) that are amazed at my system, and it would be funny to then show them yours!  What software are you using for your drawings?  It looks like something our mechanical engineers use at work.  I bet it is fun just to be able to create all of those!Good luck and I can't wait for this to get started!

Thanks! I use Google Sketchup since it's free and very powerful (IMO). I'll check out Planet Aquariums. I'm a little wary of mixed material tanks... even though I have a plywood tank sump now. I don't actually expect the base to see much stress and I think the bottom plates are usually overdesigned given that they're usually  well supported from below anyway. It's the deep panel that's a pain and likely to be 1" thick.The getting started has to wait for the house :) - negotiating now.

Wow, I didn't realize Sketchup was that good!  I have never used it, but have seen things that others have done with it and they didn't look as detailed as what you have made.  I just assumed you were a mechanical engineer using professional tools.

I believe it is also web-based now so you don't even need to download and install it if you don't want to. Pretty sure it is free as well...

It is free, but you need to download it. I think the very first version was online but that was inconvenient. It's very easy once you know the tricks. I watched the video tutorials.

Those plans look awesome! Just read the whole thread. The only thing I kept thinking about was rust. I just kept thinking about all the cars you see down in South Padre on the coast completely rusted out. Even with controlling the humidity. I'd hate to see the concertina doors on the sunroom start having rust issues a year later after spending what $100,000 at least on the tank/sunroom. Likewise with the mangrove greenhouse. I definitely don't mean that as a huge criticism, and I'm sure you've already figured it out. Have you been able to find many reef tanks in sunrooms where temps get over 100F regularly?

there aren't many reef tanks in sunrooms to begin with. then there are so few sunrooms and so few reef tanks...the 100F is based on the solar radiation being injected and the result of inadequate mitigation. It's a calculation.the doors are expensive but they're designed for sunrooms and can handle the elements. I have a tank in my garage now so I use a dehumudifier or AC constantly... It also helps with cooling. :)

Well. Our house is up for sale (tank included) and we're looking for a new house (aka new tank site):http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5218-Lake-Terrace-Ct_Garland_TX_75043_M79020-44185Here's the current house 360 degree video tour (finger swipe to look around): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvM7bi0h34o&feature=youtu.beI've also made a couple of videos of the new tank designhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfWkIEBgwqQhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQMx3zMhoUgI'm going to need a lot of help :) and I'd love to get some design and engineering advice too. This is getting complex and I'd love to simplify it. 

I can't help with engineering but what is your area you are thinking of buying?I just moved to Union Park in Aubrey last year. The yards are too small for what you'd want here, but west on 380 in Crossroads have huge lots. Can't find the neighborhood's name but here's a random house in the area https://www.trulia.com/property/3241200704-1270-Stone-Trail-Ln-Cross-Roads-TX-76227 Probably too far north though. 

Thanks. We're looking in the Frisco/Allen/West Plano/Prosper area.Got 2 girls so looking for best schools too. My yard requirement can be an "inconvenience" but my wife is "tolerant".Burning through her patience though. :DI'm also adding a vacuum surge to the design. It's a combination solar scrubber surge

Have you looked at Artesia in Prosper? It's just west off the tollway the first neighborhood on the northside of 380. New builds so would take a while and the yard space probably is not ideal for you, but I know they are really flexible with design. Corner lots are still available. Friends of ours have a wheelchair bound child and they were able to customize their house really easily, like moving walls around and expanding hallways.