Kalk questions

[Hi Tim
This could get me shot but I almost never clean my drip bucket, but remeber not to mix up the silt on the bottom as for the not dripping, remember kalk water has a ph of around 12. So if you are not going to drip it make sure it goes some where there is a lot of flow to mix it up.
Joe]

[Heyas Tim,
Joe is correct - Kalk is super high in PH and if you dont introduce it slowely your PH will skyrocket and depending on what your Cal/Alk is in your tank you may get the dreaded Cal Snowstorm.I dont know how much everyone else drips in thier system but I only add 20oz a night to mine and my readings are stable as far as PH/Alk/Cal are concerned. I mix my solution in a 1 Gal milk jug , 1-2 teaspoons per gallon of RO water.Let it sit for a few hours then drain out the clear fluid into another gallon jug and then throw away the silt.I use a 20 Oz bottle to drip it at the rate of 1 drop a second into my overflow.Heres a look at my Ultra-Chepo system.I dont have the room for any top-off buckets under my stand so Im stuck with adding 1 gal per day Via the gal jug route.

Andy]

[Not a pain at all. The 1 Gal I mix Lasts for a week.Only pain is to re-fill the 20oz container every night before and place it on the tank to drip.Takes about 3 mins.]

[Hi Tim
I depends on how much you need to keep you ph and alk steady I do all my make up water but I only need half a teaspoon per gallon to keep elvery thing in line. It all depends on how you want to do it
Joe]

[Well that depends on how much Cal your tank is using. And if you wanted to drip a Gal of top-off a day with kalk in it youd have to determine the tanks useage.I for one use straight RO water for top offs and drip 20oz Kalk a night.I have no idea what everyone else does.As I said before I mix a gallon of Kalk a week and add it nightly, I still add almost a gallon of top-off water a day as well just with no Kalk in it.

Andy
BTW: read this post , its almost the same thing your asking:

http://www.dfwmas.org....;t=3427

Good Luck]