Itching to build another tank need input

HI All
I am itching to build another tank, and I want to work with some 1/2" acrylic this time so the question is what size to make out of a single sheet. 3 sizes come to mind. (1) 24l x 24w x 30H (2) 36l x 24w x 24H (3) 48l x 16w x24h. #1 would be perfect for a single halide. #2 PC's are really the only good option. #3 anything for lights but it is really a pretty standard tank. all would be reef ready with a hang on the back over flow. Now here is the real sticker. would any of them be worth @$400 if I wanted to sell them. Here is you chance to put in your .02
Joe

i would say how good the build quality esp how bubble free your seams are would be a good indicator of how much you could sell your tanks.

HI John
Well seams take practice and the only way to get good at it is to do it. But then again Marc is better than me and he won't build display tanks because every one is so picky about bubbles. I was just kinking out loud I know the acrylic is going to cost around $200 and I figure me time has to be worth something. I was just hoping to get some more practice before I build my 240. Anyway lets see what everyone else says.
Joe

The way you have to look it is, basically you are talking about an 80 gallon tank. Can someone buy an 80 gallon glass or acrylic for less? You have to beat the price or make it worth it to pay more.

The answer is the chances of you selling it for more then the materials are slim to none!

Aquarium makers can buy the stuff in bulk way cheaper than you can and can put them together in a hurry with perfect seams.

http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=41

At that link you can buy the acrylic tank for under what the material will cost you. So if you want to do it and use by all means go ahead. And if you want to practice and sell it go ahead but I seriously doubt you'll sell it without loosing money.

Why not make a big sump for your 240?

Keep in mind that there is liability as well. This is my primary reason not to build display tanks. If it fails and all of their livestock pours into their living room and dies, the owner might decide I'm responsible. Plus the clean up (expensive carpeting, gorgeous hardwood floors....) would be another cost.

With a display tank, you can't reinforce it like you can a sump (baflles). If a sump fails, 20g may hit the floor but the livestock is still safely above. The main tank holds a huge investment that I simply can't cover.

If you build to sell, think of something that is most overpriced. Imo, it's calcium reactor, it's easy to build, I built one while back and it costs less than $30, even less if you build in large number. 10 6'x5" tubings (~$25-30 each), 1 8'x4' acrylic sheet (~$100) and $100-150 of pipe, fittings, valves, screws, for the total ~$500-600, you can make 30 reactors, even if you sell at $50 (never heard of new ca reactor for $50), you still net ~200%.

Thanks for all the support. I was really hopping for an answer to the first part of my question. which tank should I build making money was a secondary consideration. kwl1763 If you look at glass cages pictures for acrylic tanks they cover the seams with black corners so yo can't see the quality of the joints they must be pretty proud of the their workmanship.
Well if any one has some input for the first part of the question I would love to hear it.
Joe

I just say good luck with the project. It's good to see DIY work and I would be proud if I built my own tank. DIY....that's the fun part.

3) 48l x 16w x24h said:
You will regret this one, don't do it. Way to narrow. Personally I'd go for the 36l x 24w x 24H that is truely an original shaped tank, everyone has a cube :D

If your going to build it yourself, you may as well be original!

If you do the 36l x 24w x 24H, you do not need 1/2" acrylic. 3/8" should be fine. My 125 gallon (72x18x20) is made from 3/8" acrylic, with a 1/4" full sheet top with access holes. It bows in the middle of the 72" strech, and the seams are not in the greatest shape, but the tank is 15 years old and still working great.

http://www.aquariumaker.com/text/aquariums_fabrication.htm
I like the jigs they use in the middle right picture, but I don't get the math involved to make em work or geometry or whatever they do to make sure its all square and plumb.

Hi Mark
Thanks for the input, Your right about the 1/2" being over kill but it only costs like $10 more a sheet, I kind of picked those sizes because I could make them out of one sheet, the other option for the 4' was 48l x 24w x 16h, king of like a really big breeder tank.
It bows in the middle of the 72" strech said:
Isn't that amazing! Mine work with bubbles too I guess we must be unique.

I'd be worried with 3/8". I think Peter's tank is made with 1" acrylic and is only about 16" tall and it bows out a bit on the longer sides.

With the water pressure at 24", 1/2" is the way to go.