Installing lights in new canopy need tips please

[I have a new canopy 72"x30"x12" I am installing 3 icecap retro MH and two 6' VHO The MH will be attatched to the hood but I wanted the VHO to be a little lower. Anyone have any ideas and pictures of ways to mount the endcaps? Thanks in advance.]

[You could make some acrylic brackets......

or

You could make a light rack (like a kitchen rack for pots and pans) and attach your VHOs to it. Then have that hang from small chain so you can raise and lower it. I have done this on my 90 and it seems to work pretty good. I found some cheap aluminum from HD that worked great. Its lite, strong and cheap.....worked for me.]

[As long as your canopy is 72" and your VHO are nearly 72". Take 4 small pieces of wood, maybe a 4"x4" piece of 1/4" plywood. Or you could just two as long it is the width you want your lights apart. Attach it horizontally to the inside ends of your canopy with some small angle braces at the hieght you want your VHOs. Then mount the end cap to the bottom side of the piece of plywood. When you get it the wood attached, before you mount the endcaps to it. You could seal the metal with some silicon and use some good white paint to seal the plywood.]

[I like the idea of the "shelves" on either end of the canopy. Leave some slack in the wire and don't mount the end cap to the shelf, then you can move the light out of the way to service the tank.]

[Thanks for the advise, have any idea where I can get a 6 ft extension for an icecap 430 VHO ballast locally??]

[Do you mean the wiring harness? Can't you move the ballast up to the canopy, and just use a longer extension cord for the power?]

[No the ballast has a harness with what looks like 25 wires or so for connecting up to four bulbs. My bulbs are 6' each and the wires don't reach. I ordered an extension harness should get it today. The power cord is no big deal, it has a 7' included.]

[A few wiring connectors and a roll of the same size wire and you can make it whatever length you want.]