Input on chillers Please

Aldente P.

Premium Member
I am about to purchase a chiller for my 135 gal. It must be quiet! In your opinion is there one that is better than the others? TIA Jesse

The JBJ Arctica are pretty quiet.

Frank speaks highly of the current model (older one's not so much.)

I have a Pacific Coast 1/4 horse CL650, which isn't "loud" but you do hear a slight hum over my return pump.....

I guess in essence you have two options.

1.) drop in chiller - has a drop in "coil" element which you drop in the sump, as the coil cools, so does the water. No pump necessary as it's a closed system. So, no pump noise, water flow noise, etc.
p-22308-36726-chiller.jpg
alt="">

2.) in-line chiller - Like the JBJ, or Pacific Coast . . . Has an input and output. Fed from sump water via a 600 - 700gph pump (mag7)...It's a little louder because you need a pump, and plus the flow of the water thru the evaporator....
pcchiller650-large.jpg
alt="">

Teco's are by far the most queit in my experience. They even have a silent mode you can run them on.
PM if you want more info.
Drew

I just bought one directly from Tradewind Chillers...not sure on the noise level but from everything i have read they are one of the best. It will cost a bit more then the JBJ though.

I am going to tag along here. I have a JBJ Arctica Mini on my RSM. It is quiet, keeps the tank within 1 degree, and I have no complaints at all. Unfortunately it is not enough for my 90G. I would go with JBJ without question, but there are certainly cheaper options in the 1/4 or 1/5 HP range, so I would love to see what others have to say.

Subline which chiller would be more efficient?
And are there any other pros or cons of a drop in verses the inline?
TIA Jesse

!
In terms of electrical efficiency, the drop in simply because there is no pump associated with it. As for pro and con, I can't say because I have never used a drop in but I would think one big pro would be no water to deal with, no pump to maintain, etc.

You do have to routinely clean the cooling drop-in coil to maintain it's cooling efficiency. But, it's stainless steel so it should be a wipe-down type of thing.

!

I've worked on a number of chillers, and the quietest and best quality without question are the Teco Chillers by fritz industries

http://www.tecous.com/

I have the Teco chiller. I picked up mine in Mesquite at their shop. It is very quite. I asked for the MACNA discount and they gave me one.

The only problem I have with it was I had to put a small behind the chiller to pull the heat off the return lines.

Steve

@gravedigger wrote:
I have the Teco chiller. I picked up mine in Mesquite at their shop. It is very quite. I asked for the MACNA discount and they gave me one. The only problem I have with it was I had to put a small behind the chiller to pull the heat off the return lines. Steve said:

@Muufer wrote:
Wow they really like their chillers. Expensive!! said:
Compared to losing a tank full of expensive corals and fish in the heat of summer, the cost of a chiller is small. Consider it an insurance policy... but do shop around. Franks has good prices on the Tecos if thats the way you decide to go.