Inexpensive metal highlights setup - Hp sodium ballast for mh bulbs

[Currently I am using standard 175W Mercury Vapor ballast (salvaged from commercial light fixture) and 175W MH commercial grade bulb.
The problem is that bulbs color heat output is only 4.500K. I would like to upgrade to MH 175W 6000K or MH 175W 20000K. There are a lot of different bulbs on the market and I wold like to know if one of these bulbs will work with my ballast.
Has anyone used Mercury Vapor ballast with MH175W 6000K – 20000K bulbs for reef tank setup?
???]

[I know that Bill at Pet Boutique has purchased some kind of ballast/end-cap combo from an industrial supplier, and coupled it with an aquarium-type halide bulb. Maybe he can advise.]

[Hello,

I really didn't want to advise you to diy halide. The reason is a pfo combo if you do good online shopping is just about what it would cost to diy. Once you factor in wiring, reflectors, enclosure, exc for the diy unit. I can help you if you need it though. I bought two ballasts online and the moguls. I then did a diy reflector with aluminum flashing and mothers polish (mirror finish no lie, buffer mandatory though). I have worked in electrical, HVAC, computers and building automation and am currently enrolled in Electronics classes ( working on my Associates) so any help I can give is offered, so just ask, I believe my advise would be better than the LFS but to each his own.

Here are some generic ballast
http://www.prolighting.com/ballast....ts.html

As you can see they are cheaper than kits online but you'll still need some reflector(s), wiring, socket(s), metal case(s), most importantly some electrical knowledge (which I can help).

just to let you know I bought a 400 watt ballasts from a local supply house for $50 and another online for $40. These ballasts have fired homedepot halides, sunburst halides and Hamilton halides with no problems but not all halides may work with these ballast. Need info send me an email or post here.]

[Jose,

I'm definatly interested in doing MH on my tank. Probably 400w. But I'm wanting to use the 20K bulbs. Will those ballasts fire those bulbs? And how much am I looking at spending in order to get everything I need?]

[I thought you said you had 2 400s on that 90?? If I do a 250, is 4.5 W/g going to be enough if I want to add some SPS?]

@mmiller40 wrote:
[Your 55 is 48 inces right? If so you need 2 lamps. Halides light a 2 foot square. You need 2 250's. That would give you like 9 watts per gallon Yes I have 2 400's. If you can get the 200 PFO ebay deal all you need is bulbs. Total about 325.] said:
[Mitch,

It looked like that auction had ended. I'm pretty e-bay ignorant because I don't use it. $325 isn't a bad price. I still need a Canopy though.]

[There was a dual pfo 250w ballast for sale on reef central for $100 plus shipping. That's a fair deal I don't think it had reflectors though.

I agree on 250w for a 55 gallon though lighting and how much is a touchy subject hehe.

Bulbs that can fire on standard ballast (pfo type) should work, but I've never used 20000k bulbs so no guarantees. I believe though if they work on a standard ballast they'll work on a regular ballast ask around.

If you need help setting it up I'll be glad to help.]

@DallasJose wrote:
[There was a dual pfo 250w ballast for sale on reef central for $100 plus shipping. That's a fair deal I don't think it had reflectors though. I agree on 250w for a 55 gallon though lighting and how much is a touchy subject hehe. Bulbs that can fire on standard ballast (pfo type) should work said:
[Now when you say Dual 250, is it a total of 250watts, or it can take 2 250w bulbs? I think I'm gonna get the PFO setup that Mitch has. It was pretty nice and seems fairly straight forward. If I could still use 20K lights and save a few bucks I'd go the DIY route. Just not sure what all I would need.

I've been talking to Clay about getting the extra canopy he has. I'll find out what it's like and let you know. I wish I lived in a house and had a garage. Then I'd make my own canopy.]

[Dual ballast means that there are two tranformers inside the enclosure so two halide light bulbs can be used. That means two (2) 250 watt bulbs. The two linear feet per light is pretty accurate from experience.]

@DallasJose wrote:
[Dual ballast means that there are two tranformers inside the enclosure so two halide light bulbs can be used. That means two (2) 250 watt bulbs. The two linear feet per light is pretty accurate from experience.] said:
[Jose,

That's what I figured. Okay, so why is everyone saying 400watts is too much for a 55g tank? Especially if you need so much wattage per gallon in order to keep SPS? Is 400 overkill, or is it all a matter of opinion?]

@mmiller40 wrote:
[when you go to a larger tank the 400's would be ok said:
[Heh, I planned on doing the dual 250s =p Not dual 400s, I knew that would be overkill. With that being said, will I need a chiller??]

[Wow, who has their A/C on 70? Must be a fantastic bill each month. :laugh: I have mine around 75 to 76 although all the articles recommend 80 to get the best efficiency for your electricity use. Too hot for me, though.

Using a sump has definitely cooled both of my tanks, but you have to keep in mind that your return pump will add some heat back into the water.

I have a 55g, and plan to install dual 175w bulbs, which I feel will be absolutely plenty. 55g tanks don't have much depth, so you don't have to penetrate too far down to light up your corals. Buying a dual 250w setup is usually only about $20 more, but now you have to pay monthly for 500w of light vs 350w.

Just some food for thought. Just take it with a grain of salt. ;)]

[Okay, I think Clay is going to sell me his canopy for cheap! And my one year anniversary is coming up with my girlfirend and she's promised me some gear!! I think she's got about $200 to spend so I can cover the difference. I wanna do MH, obviously. So 175x2, or 250x2? I've emailed the guy that Mitch referred me to on ebay and hopefully I'll hear from him soon and get a price on everything!!

In the meantime, if I was to go the DIY route, what am I being set back to do this?? What do I need, where do I get it?]

[2x175 is plenty for a 55g. 2x250 if you definitely know you will upgrade the tank in less than a year.

Keep in mind that when you upgrade, you can sell your 175s. In the meantime, less energy consumption means more fish & coral money. :eyebrows:]

[Hello,

In an effort to get you the best price ideas, I listed several vendors some of which I have not used therefor use your own judgement when ordering from all online places. The Radiums seem to have issues firing on standard ballast so no guarantees with those bulbs.

If you get a basic two halide bulbs kit like pfo

Reeffanatic.com

Dual 250 pfo ballast $140
Spider reflectors @$30 each x2 is $60
PFO 8ft MH Lamp Cord @$5 each x 2 is $10
Total $ 210 plus shipping.

(You may require some misc wiring exc but I believe these are the main components though I've never built one so don't quote me on this.)

Generic ballast DIY
Hello lights
Ballast Universal Magnetic M58 250w $50 x2 is $100
Spider like reflector with mogul socket $30 x2 is $60
Power cord grounded $5
misc wiring from ballast to lamp $10 Home depot
Metal water resistant enclosure box for ballast they get hot $20 Home depot
Wiring help *free email me* :idea:
Total $200
This is just a ball park figure if you want to use fancy crimp connectors, fuses, extra wiring it will be more $. edit(oops plus shipping from hello lights) You really don't need an enclosure for the ballast if you choose to I have mine set on a tile. I also bought one of those heavy duty 40ft extension cords for $15 and used the first few feet for plug and the rest to wire the lights/reflectors exc and still had some left over this will save some more on costs.

I also recomend buying a 12" by 12" tile piece to set any ballast enclosure on since they get hot.

Of course if you have a buffer and don't mind getting dirty you can buy aluminum flashing (about $5 a roll) and buff it to mirror finish and it can be bent but not like sprider reflectors hehe. Here is hood design you from Reefercorner that may interest you, that would work great with polished flashing.
http://www.reefcorner.com/images/HoodWiring1.jpg

Ps. apparently those XM 20000k bulbs will fire on standard ballast and only cost $65 each (no personal experience though)

From Hello lights

* XM 20,000K bulbs produce a nice white/blue color after about 100 hours of burn in.
* The color and growth out of these is amazing!
* Excellent with or without Actinic supplementation.
* Operate on a probe start ballast, ANSI M58.
* Standard Mogul base.

Feel free to correct any mistakes or email me if I forgot anything (components exc). Forgive my spelling I'm no English major.]

[Hello again,

I just saw this on Hello lights and feel this is a good deal for DIY. It comes with the reflector, ballast, plug cord.

Metal halide retrofit kit- Probe start = $85
* Retrofit kits includes: Universal M58 magnetic ballast, our Parabolic Reflector with a standard mogul base/mounting bracket riveted to it and grounded power cord.

http://www.hellolights.com/25methalretk.html

Add the light 250w 20000k XM $65
High temp wire nuts $3
Shipping $7

for a grand total of $160
or $320 for two kits and the bulbs.

*add $10 for light wiring (Home depot)
and $20 if you want a box to put them in.

The ballast kit for radium bulbs is $105 per kit (you'll still need to purchase the bulb(s).

Most importantly Disclaimer
* Note: this kit will require wiring done by a qualified electrician. We suggest purchasing 18 gauge wire to aid in installation.

My disclaimer
I will help you connect it but if you burn your house down or suffer any damage your on your own, I am not responsible.]