inexpensive food recipe

Does anyone know of any fairly inexpensive food recipes?
I'm starting to go through TOOO many packs of 50/50 (mysis/bloodworm) packs on my tank. I think I buy about 1 every other week - and thats when I'm feeding on the sparse side.

When I drop a frozen cube into the tank, its like dropping bloody fish into a shark tank - the fish go crazy - its all gone in roughly 45 seconds. on average, i feed 3-5 cubes /day

My livestock consists of
3 cardinal fish (the most aggressive cardinals ive seen)
2 percula clowns
1 engineer goby
1 cleaner goby
1 firefish
1 blenny
3 yellow tangs
1 vlamingi tang
1 yellow eyed cole tang

I assume you have seen some Nick's posts regarding his food.

Another alternative is Eric Borneman's: http://www.marshreef.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=1

On-going discussion of Nick's sales: http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=36388

Eric's recipie yields a lot of food but you can adjust as necessary.

I buy mine on line from Dr. Foster/Smith. It is less than half the price of the LFS. Just buy a lot at a time to make up the $19 shipping. :D

Sometimes Petco has buy 2/get 1 free sales on the frozen food. I try to stock up then, but only need 1 cube a day. It really helps to thaw it out in a little cup (like a dixie cup) to get it to disperse and make the fish slow down. If I didn't thaw it out first, my puffer and lunare wrasse would eat everything.

I noticed that you have 5 tangs. Maybe you could substitute a few less cubes in exchange for some nori/seaweed instead. Also, you said that you drop in the frozen cubes in your tank... I always practice the idea of taking some R/O or tank water in a cup and defrosting the frozen food for 5-10 minutes before feeding my fish.

Mark

@MBZ wrote:
I noticed that you have 5 tangs. Maybe you could substitute a few less cubes in exchange for some nori/seaweed instead. Also said:
Good idea, I also thaw and rinse and then soak (with garlic,zoe etc) all frozen prior to putting it in the tank, some have lots of phosphates in the "juice" it's packed in. Probably overkill now since I have a larger tank, better skimming etc., but smaller tanks w/o fuge and such could possibly get some nuisance algae from the phosphate's. Something to keep in mind. :wink:

Cheers,

I thaw in Ro water and often soak in garlic guard when I have time. Here lately I haven't had much time since I spend most of my time in airports....

I think I'll look into the online solution and even going into petco to look for frozen foods...

@bimmerzs wrote:
[I]@MBZ wrote:[/I][quote="I noticed that you have 5 tangs. Maybe you could substitute a few less cubes in exchange for some nori/seaweed instead. Also said:
Good idea, I also thaw and rinse and then soak (with garlic,zoe etc) all frozen prior to putting it in the tank, some have lots of phosphates in the "juice" it's packed in. Probably overkill now since I have a larger tank, better skimming etc., but smaller tanks w/o fuge and such could possibly get some nuisance algae from the phosphate's. Something to keep in mind. :wink:

Cheers,"]

I forgot to mention that part. :oops: I first defrost in a small cup of R/O water, strain the food through a fish net, then soak the food in Zoe, Garlic Xtreme and Marine C.

Mark