I'm stumped- which 4 T5 bulbs

coralreefer

Membership Expired
Okay, as title states, I'm stumped as to which bulbs to try. Here is my setup- 140 gallon with a 4x2 footprint and 28" deep. I have a very mixed reef. All T5 are driven HO by a single icecap 660.

Back
T5-
T5-
DIY LED strip- mix of 12 white and 15 blue luxeons driven separately by 2 dimmable meanwells. They are at 60% now.
T5-
T5-
Front

I know I want at least 1 KZ Fiji purple and 1 ATI Blue+. Maybe a UVL super actinic and a KZ coral light? I don't know if I should get blue+, actinics, aquablue, others, or what?

Let's hear from some of you experienced reefers on what you would experiment with first.

I don't claim to be an experienced reefer, but, I have some Luxeon cool white LEDs, and in my thinking, if you ever want to turn them all the way up, you will need all the blue that you can get to drown them out. They are very bright!

David

@DFW wrote:
I don't claim to be an experienced reefer said:
Good point. Maybe I'll get two blue+ and either two KZ purples or one purple and one pure actinic.

Thanks for the replies everyone!! I'm going bulb hunting tomorrow.

:D Good Luck...

I have always thought the important thing to remember is you're simulating light at depths of up to 60-70 feet in some cases, in the ocean. These creatures to not naturally occur at 2" of depth in nature. So, putting a bright white light above your tank is NOT simulating natural conditions.

We tend to think of coral reefs as mid-shallow water habitats, but in reality, many of the SPS, and other stony coral we keep are way down near the thermocline at like 60-70 feet.

So, natural daylight, that we see as yellow-white, filters into a blue or purple at that depth. You're trying to use a blue tinted light, to simulate a natural habitat for a creature under 16" - 30" INCHES of water.

In reality, very little "white" or "daylight" visible light is necessary. (1) daylight or white-actinic is usually adequate for all but the most picky fish, and inverts.