Identifying tempered glass

jccaclimber

Premium Member
Looking through the first page and talking with some members the topic of drilling tempered glass comes up frequently. Fortunately tempered glass is easy to identify with a polarized lens (sunglasses) and a polarized light source (smart phone).

Note: This may not work properly with a screen protector on the phone. This includes the stick on ones as well as the ones built in to some cases, so either remove it or find a phone without one.

First make sure your light source is good and your sunglasses (or lens) are in fact polarized. Set the screen to solid white and look at it through your glasses. You should be able to make it go from normal to completely black with a 90 degree rotation. At 45 degrees the screen should be uniformly dim. Now do this with the phone on one side of the aquarium glass and your glasses on the other. If the glass is not tempered it should be the same: normal fading smoothly to black in 90 degrees.

If your glass is tempered it will have a pattern to it instead of being uniform. This piece was tempered:
galaxys3nocase_zps5ee89d89.jpg
alt="">

I'll try to shoot some videos when I get a chance, but I'm not sure I have a tempered tank laying around at the moment.