ICP Testing saved my reef

HangrightRon

DFW Designer Corals
The beginning of June I had been having issues with corals fading and decided to send off an icp test. It turned out that I was low on almost all trace elements even though I've been dosing using the Hybrid Balling /BRS method.

Knowing this I upped my dose amount and decided to send off another at the end off the month just to see where I stood. And, as expected all trace elements were on the rise but to my surprise I also got this warning flag.

Screenshot_20230703-232701_Chrome.jpg

Yikes!

Ofcourse I went into panic mode..checked every magnet I could think of and didn't notice anything unusual. I started thinking maybe some sun screen or lotion made it into the water column. Mainly because I've been selling frags and putting my hands in the water more than usual. But, I use gloves and rinse/dry my skin really well before hand as a precaution.

Well, tonight I was cleaning the sump and discovered this little reef killer! I have no clue where it came from or how it managed to make its way in there.
20230703_232908.jpg

Big sigh of relief because I'm assuming this is the source of my elevated zinc.

Had I not sent in this last ICP and started the search for this menace I have no idea what would of happen in the months to come.

In the end the kits may be costly but that small amount most definitely saved me from major problems in the future.

Thought I should share. Happy Reefing.

Wow how crazy glad you found it did they give you some kinda hint to look for like something rusty