Ich Wins!

Gramma died this morning from the ich. He was not eating, therefore he couldn't fight back but what was odd is the fact that I found him in a cave with his back fin torn off and his face half eaten. Does ich eat their hosts? I really dont know what happened to him. Can't find the rest of his body. I think the parasite is out of the tank but I will hold off until I do anything. Clowns seem okay and eating, they love the tank. Also, check out my build log for more info. Link is in description, haven't had replies in a while.

Sorry about your loss! Probably got eaten by a crab after he died, thats what they are designed to do in nature. Also when you say "I think the parasite is out of the tank" I can pretty much guarantee you its not, only way to really remove it is by leaving the tank fallow for 5 or 6 weeks.

Well, it's unfortunate about your loss, but it happens to all of us. :/ One little tid bit, but from my understanding once you have "ich" it's basically always gonna be there. It goes dormant and/or your fish become unaffected and can fight it unless stressed in which their immune systems weaken. Copper will
rid your tank of unwanted parasites, but that's FOWLR ONLY and that's a treatment I know nothing about lol. GL!

From my own research copper is really best used in a hospital tank, It can/will kill inverts and most everything on live rock.

Don't use copper in your DT. If you ever plan on having corals they will most likely not make it, along with inverts.

Ich does not actually "die". It lays dormant until something triggers it, this can be anything from a stressed out fish to a fish with some sort of infection or disease. As said above, the only way to actually get rid of it for good is to remove all fish from your system for upwards of 2-3 months. Only then will it be gone and sometimes it will even overcome that.

If your clowns are healthy enough, they won't be affected by it, but I would hold off on adding any fish for a couple of months as there is a chance they could contract the parasite.

If you dose copper in the tank you will never be able to add inverts in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much guys! So if I waited until sometime in November (Middle) to get another fish would that be okay (being if I do not have any other problems)? Hopefully all goes well, I do not have a quarantine tank but at walmart there is a 15 dollar 10 gallon tank I might pick up. If I add some aquarium water to the 10 gallon will that introduce ich into my quarantine? I might buy a piece of live rock for it too. Maybe get a PVC pipe to add to some hiding places as well. If I move them to this 10 gal do I put sand in? Thanks.

Many don't seem to mind living with Ick in there tank. If you are like me, you don't want it anywhere ever. If you want to completely git rid of ick, move your clowns to a bare bottom hospital tank and treat them there with Hypo or copper. Leave them there for at least 6 weeks so that there is no fish in your 40. This will allow the ick in the tank to die (as it will have no host to complete it's life cycle). After the 6 weeks, move the treated clowns back to the 40. You will also want to take any new fish in the future through a treatment in the hospital/QT tank as well so that you don't re-introduce it.

Personally, I did a bunch of research and decided to follow the instructions in this article for my tank: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/quarantining-marine-fish-made-simple

You sure it is ich not marine velvet?

In my history with tangs ich is more of a nuisance than a killer

So I wake up this morning only to find my clowns dead but my inverts still alive. Do inverts get affected? I am pretty sure they were happy and healthy. THey have spots all over them now. I do not know what to do, hopefully my 10 gallon QT gets set up by mid november and such. I will run the tank do do lots of water changes. Hopefully this fixes my problems. Any input would be appreciated.

If your fish ate dying that fast I doubt it is ich

Brooklynella is prob what is killing your fish

Just let your tank sit with no fish. Since your clowns died you don't have any fish in the tank anymore anyways. Just don't add any fish for 2 months or so. It may or may not be ich, but it's better to play it safe and assume it's ich.

After the two months are up you can add fish.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Someone has probably mentioned obtaining another tanks for use as a hospital tank or a quarantine tank. Having lost so many fish to various things over the years I now have a permanent quarantine tank that EVERYTHING goes into first for at least two months. If a fish ends up needing medication I move it to a small hospital tank that I have marked COPPER right on the glass. All things for that tank like filter or heater stay with that tank.

I know a lot of people have many different methods for treatment of ich. What I like is Ich Attack. I have saved several fish with it.