I dont get it

I have a 29 gallon reef with 30 pounds of live rock and a 2 inch live sandbed with a fluval 405 and a aqua c remora rated for 75 gallons and a KOralia 1. All i have in the tank is a yellow tail damsel and a hammer coral and a couple zoo frags yet my tank seems dirty the water is hazy and not crystal clear and the whole thing looks dirty. Have have 15 hermits and 12 snails. I just dont get it.

Carbon is a good idea.. but I would also take a look at the salt you are using and how you mix it. Some salts like RC can display cloudy appearance if they are mixed in certain ways. Always add the salt to the water, not the water to the salt. Mix at room temp, not too hot or too cold and make sure you mix it for a few hours or even overnight before it.

It could also be micro bubbles from a pinhole in the plumbing letting air in etc. Look closely at the tank and if it looks like debris or tiny bubbles that may be the problem. To check that, shut off your return and wait about 10 minutes to see if it clears up. If it clears up, its not the water itself, but something in the lines, equipment or setup that is causing it.

I buy my water pre mixed from aquatic trading and the tank has only been up for a month and i havent yet done a water change cause the peremeters are perfect

@TWycoff15 wrote:
I buy my water pre mixed from aquatic trading and the tank has only been up for a month and i havent yet done a water change cause the peremeters are perfect said:
Should do water changes anyway... there are many reasons for doing them other than nitrates or other parms, there are also things we do not test for along with fish wastes etc that can build up. I think you're fine for now with the small bioload you have, but I would start getting into the good practice of doing 10-15% every other week.

Cleaning the glass is important too. The inside with a cleaning magnet, the outside with water or vinegar. You may be looking at the tank through a film. Instead of paper towels, use newspaper to clean the outer glass.

Carbon doesn't last very long (I think mere days), so change it out as well and see if it looks better in 24 hours.

@TWycoff15 wrote:
[I]@Marc wrote:[/I][quote="Cleaning the glass is important too. The inside with a cleaning magnet said:
K thanks"]

ON my old 55 gallon i yoused the same fluval 405 and cleaned and changed out carbon every month had a cpr backpack rated for 60 gallons had 40 pounds of live rock and a 2 inch thick live sandbed. I had a clown, 1 yellow and 1 blue hippo tang and a snowflake eel and my water was always crystal clear and never had eny problems hardly. And now on my 29 gallon im yousing the same filter and a better skimmer and a higher precentage of live rock and the water is cloudy so it must be something wrong im not noticing. . THe tank has stuff floating around it everywere strands of what looks like coral poo and the water is a hazy whitish color. THe peremeters are cool and everything seems to be doing fine. I just changed out the carbon though to see if it will change enything and i cleaned my glass i already had a magnet cleaner but had never yoused the newspaper and vinegar and water and it worked great and helped but the tank is still cloudy.

I made vid to show you cant really tell from the video, it seems clearer than it actually is but here it is. (I show my hand so thet you can tell its not just that i have a hazy camera).BUt you can see the floating stuff and that was the point

alt="">

Just put it on the return. Run it for a week to get the fine particles out then you can take it off

Marc wrote:
Cleaning the glass is important too. The inside with a cleaning magnet, the outside with water or vinegar. You may be looking at the tank through a film. Instead of paper towels, use newspaper to clean the outer glass.

Marc
Newspaper ? This I haven't tried. How come newspaper ? I just use hand towels / dish towels. Does the newspaper work better ?

@bump1 wrote:
[I]@Marc wrote:[/I][quote="Cleaning the glass is important too. The inside with a cleaning magnet said:
"]

I think it does, it seems to get it cleaner and dosent leave eny resido like paper towels do.

Newspaper is good for cleaning all glass, why I have no idea but it works. Less streaks and it seems to help remove films better than paper towels or hand towels.

We used to have hell getting the smoke residue off of the windows of our firetrucks and we were told to try newspaper. Low and behold it worked, no more streaks.

newspapers don't have fibers like cloth. they don't pick up grime and oils, thus these types of particles roll up into little balls and fall away from the glass. plus the surface area of paper has smaller pours, so micro scratches in the glass are less likely.

filter sock sounds like just the thing to remove the extra particles. I have a jbj nano, and i don't know how to run a filter sock on mine, but i have the same problem with floaters. I wish there was a simple solution for mine.

this is the the community at large, but relevant to this thread. would a more powerful return pump or a power head improve flow, and thus help the floaters work their way out of the system?