I am having so much fun

Tinyfish

Membership Expired
On the summer bus tour I sat behind Marc. I thought I would ask him about fragging zoanthids since every attempt I had made ended up cutting the coral with the blade and they died. He told me the secret was cutting the rock they are attached to and he suggested using a dremel tool with the new locking mechanism and new cutting wheels. The tip only took about 2 minutes to tell me about but it has made all the difference in my experience of this part of the hobby. I have cut almost every zoanthid bunch that I have in my tanks. They were growing underneath the plugs anyway. Now I have enough to spread new color to all of my tanks (5). And its fun!

Thanks Marc!

I have run into a difficulty now. I can see that a coral cutting band saw would be extremely useful. It looks like there are two main ones: DFS-100 ReefKeeper™ Saw and the Gryphon C-40. The Gryphon is $100 more.

Anyone ever do a comparison?

I have owned both get a gryphon. Dfs lasted me only one summer before it started breaking down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my used Gryphon C-40 in the mail just now. I hope you all steered me in a good direction. I only got one blade with it.

What do you recommend for blades?

Is there anything special I should know before I start trying it out?

Make sure you use it somewhere with plenty of fresh air. As you cut through corals, the blade can heat and vaporize some of the slime and if you breathe it in, it could make you sick. Drew and Matt suffered a few months ago from a heavy fragging session.

The blade that came with your used saw should work, no?

I should have read the instructions about the water level. I turned on the saw and it threw water everywhere until the level got down where it was supposed to be. The saw really cuts nice except I made a huge mistake. I cut all my zoanthids first and then happened to think there was some algae on one of my SPS frags so I decided to trim it. BAD IDEA. The water immediately killed the SPS which turned white. Its too bad, I liked that frag.

I emptied the basin and could see that there was a lot of grit and probably a lot of toxin in the water.

The blade was OK but I am thinking I need an extra one for a spare.

Interesting about mixing toxins with used water. Good point - thanks for sharing that.

Wes may know a source for an extra blade.