hypo safe inverts

jbrownacu

Premium Member
im curious if there are any crabs or something that will sift through my sand that i can add to my QT tank with dead sand and rock. im worried about the buildup of nutrients/waste in the sand so do you have any ideas on how to take care of this problem. i talked to someone recently who had several feeder shrimps make it through hypo, so i was just curious. maybe something that is a brakish species? have you tried before and it not work? im considering getting a few $1 crabs and see what happens.
josh

I'm still not real sure why/how we wound up with at least 2 live ghost/feeder shrimp through a hypo cycle (just thrown in as food initially) and have continued to adapt and thrive as the two fish were brought back to normal salinity. I never noticed there were there for many weeks, but then I saw them and one is fairly large (2"ish) and the other is reasonably sized (1 1/4"ish) but not as big. I was quite shocked to find them initially both because they weren't eaten and because of the fact that they lived not only in the hypo tank after we so 'carefully acclimated' (yeah right) :shock: them, but that they've prospered and occassionally make an appearance to get some flake food when they can. I'm sure they are some common species, but they aren't peppies or cleaners. They also look a little different than each other, so they may have been different types of feeder/ghost shrimp. Anyway, they have proven very hardy so far and I'm trying to think of something creative to do with them now too. 8)

Doug

oh yeah, they were feeders...ill change my intial post from peps :) thanks for the reply! hope all is well doug.
josh

Most of the shrimp sold as Ghost Shrimp are actually freshwater
prawns and can live in a wide range of environments.

You can tell the difference when they are little look at the
first set of "Legs" are what ever they are called Freshwater
Prawns have claws you can see Ghost Shrimp do not.

Here is a video of one that has grown some.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y7IyU2bkWdQ

But when they get full sized they will eat your fish.

WoodDragon