How to wire pc fans for cooling

[Hi all,

Got a question.. i'm wanting to wire up some PC 12v fans for cooling. Anyone have instructions on how to wire them to work? I'm going to use them with a timer so that they come on with the halides. Thanks!!!]

[Find out how many mA they draw, buy a converter power supply from radioshack, and wire them to it with or without quick disconnects. I used the power supply from an old D-link switch and it is running two variable speed fans.]

[Thanks... i didn't think about that... I have several old pc's at work I can buy parts out of. Thanks for the info...]

[I'm talking about a non-pc power supply. one of the typical ac/dc converter blocks that answering machines, cd players, cell phones, etc use. As long as it puts out 12v and 300mA, you should be fine.]

[Hi Tony,

Thanks for the great info... do you by chance have the part # for that converter? I swear everytime I goto radio shack i get the dumb dumb sales folks that don't know what i'm asking for. Thanks!!!!]

[Do you already have the fans? I'd go 110v if not then just wire them upto the lights.

If you already have the fans well then nevermind :p]

[Funny me... i found one... just never thought to use it in this way. Used it on an old cd player that i lost the power supply for. Thanks!!!]

[I finally got them working. I cut openings into my sorta plastic top covers... they actually hold up my 20" orbit from my old tank. I have them facing down into the tank. Wondering about salt creep thou.. I will watch them. Alot less noise to deal with is always a good thing... :eek:)]