Fish Think Pink

Club Secretary
Staff member
Board of Directors

masanao-shibuya-sps-acropora-reef-tank-2.jpeg

How to properly Treat and Dip Newly Acquired Corals​

MICHAEL PALETTA
2 WEEKS AGO

As we have gotten better at keeping our corals and especially propagating them, we have also gotten better at recognizing the many pests that feed on them. As a result, it is now necessary to manage these pests lest they damage or destroy our precious charges. My laziness in the past has led to some serious invasions that have resulted in the loss of far too many corals.

Because of this, I have gotten very aggressive at treating any new corals that come into my systems. My philosophy now is that even if I got in a frag from my mother I would still dip and quarantine it. I know most coral propagators are very aggressive at making sure that nothing bad gets into their systems. But despite how aggressive they are at managing their corals occasionally things still slip by. So despite their assurance that their corals are “clean” I suggest that all newly acquired corals be at least dipped and cleaned before being added to a system. And if it is a wild colony to be added this is especially true.

To enjoy this whole article, please go to: