how to place new clam

I got a small maxima clam this weekend and I have tried to set him up on the upper half of my rockwork, but he keeps tilting over or rolling down. How to I put him to where he will stay in one place?

I think maximas bore into rock so I would try to put him on a flat rock on the sand and see if he'll attach. Then you could move the whole thing higher if that's what he needs. You should be able to tell by how wide it opens and how much mantel tissue is exposed.

Gotcha. Anyone know a good link for info on these? I've been searching but keep coming up with very basic stuff. This is a small guy, about 2 inches.

If it really wants to be up on the rocks, you can cradle it a little as long as it's not impeded in opening it's shell.

Once your clam attaches to the clam shell, you can gradually move him up in the rock work. Maxima's are very light needy. Here is a link to a forum that specializes in clams. They are very knowledgeable and helpful.
Good Luck,
Mary

http://www.reefaquariumforum.com/forum.html

He also got me the book Giant Clams in the Sea and the Aquarium by James Fatherree and it is an AWESOME reference. said:
Very good book! Anyone wanting (or already having) clams should read.

Crocea's bore, maxima's have a bysal foot(more like a lot of treads) I like to place them on a flat piece of rock ind the sand for a few days, this will give them time to attach, after that you can pretty much move them anywere!

Yes I have placed him on a smaller flat rock in the sand, and he has turned himself to face the light. I will move him up towards the light in a few days. I will move him half way, then a few days later all the way up. I have a spot picked out for him already. Thanks for the great link, Mary. I got a good understanding of what a little clam needs to grow.

@Reefmike wrote:
[quote="He also got me the book Giant Clams in the Sea and the Aquarium by James Fatherree and it is an AWESOME reference. said:
Very good book! Anyone wanting (or already having) clams should read."]

I agree! This is an awesome book, all clam owners should have it. Does the club library have one?