How To Get Rid Of Vermetid Snails

Fish Think Pink

Club Secretary
Staff member
Board of Directors
Vermetid-snails.png
MICHAEL PALETTA
2 WEEKS AGO

In the early days of the hobby when we were just happy keeping anything alive, our next greatest joy was when we got something to reproduce. It could have been Caulerpa, Aiptasia, and then finally something like Xenia. Regardless of what it was, we were happy because the general consensus was that we were never going to be able to get anything to reproduce in our tanks.

Unfortunately, many of us have earned the hard way that we can get our invertebrates to reproduce in our tanks and we are especially successful at this if the animal in question is a pest. For whatever reason we can get the pests in our tanks to reproduce at astronomical rates. One of the worst of these now is the Vermetid snail, the pesky little worm that builds a calcareous tube around itself and is seemingly impervious to anything.

As you are reading this, I am sure you are thinking, “Mike must have every pest imaginable in his tank”. Sadly, after almost forty years of doing this, I have had or have seen just about every pest imaginable and yes it is frustrating, but I have learned how to get rid of most of them and that is what I hope to explain here as I have been asked by quite a few hobbyists of late how to do that. So I am assuming that they are becoming more and more of a problem.

For the whole article, please go to: