How to dose prazi pro?

Oscarmk

Premium Member
I noticed some long white stringy poop on my flame angel today that fell off after about an hour (image below).

2vjbp77.jpg
alt="">

I strongly suspect internal parasites now, and was thinking of treating the QT tank (a 29 biocube) that also has a tomini tang, snails and live rock with prazi pro, I read the hikari instructions at http://www.hikariusa.com/solutions/healthaid/prazipro/ , in particular I am questioning this part:

AS A BATH: Start treatment with as large a water change as practical or start with new water. said:
It seems like a large water change would just stress the fish unnecessarily?, it doesn't explain why this is needed, but I really don't understand why this is the first step before dosing prazi pro. If it is to remove potential parasites already in the water, isn't this what prazi pro does already?. If a water change is required, how much % should I change?.

I am aware that after the treatment one should do a 50% water change, but it does not make sense to me to make one before, but I am probably missing something.

As far as the rest of the instructions should I just follow them completely?:

AS A BATH: Start treatment with as large a water change as practical or start with new water. Any water used should first be conditioned with ULTIMATE or a combination of Liquid Buffered ClorAm-X and Stress-X to remove ammonia said:
Planning to dose 1 teaspoon for the 20 gallons, while the biocube is 29, with the stuff in the back, plus the rock I am thinking real volume is more like 22 or 23 G.

Any recommendations welcome.

From my understanding you need to make sure that the water is not full of nitrate or something else that could be stressing the fish. I dose slightly more than 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons. Wait 3 days change 25 % water and dose again. Wait 3 more days and add fish to display. After adding to display dose half the amount. Wait 5 days and then continue half dose again but putting carbon in and leaving skimmer online in my DT.

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

@Eckolancer wrote:
From my understanding you need to make sure that the water is not full of nitrate or something else that could be stressing the fish. I dose slightly more than 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons. Wait 3 days change 25 % water and dose again. Wait 3 more days and add fish to display. After adding to display dose half the amount. Wait 5 days and then continue half dose again but putting carbon in and leaving skimmer online in my DT. Sent from pay phone in the airport. said:
Thanks for the advise, I will probably do the same, I dosed 1 tsp (5 ml) today to the biocube. My flame angel started hiding and being less active yesterday, today he is still the same, he is hiding between the rocks and only ocassionaly peeks out, he looks fine other than that, but he doesn't want to eat anymore. He only has a single white spot left from the photo, the other one is completely gone, pretty sure it is not ich, since it is now 9 days since that spot and it has not fallen, neither have others reappeared, the tang is doing great. I am fairly sure the flame has internal parasites based on the symptoms, hopefuly he gets more active with the medication.

@Eckolancer wrote:
Try feeding mixed frozen food with garlic added on it. Sent from pay phone in the airport. said:
I tried it with bryne and mysis, selco boost and garlic but no luck, the tang sure liked it lol. He still looks ok, other than not eating and hiding of course... But when he does come out he looks rather normal no visible signs of disease, rapid breathing or flashing. I did see him flash briefly 2 days ago though, but only once, kinda suspecting flukes now, good thing prazi also works on that.

Today the flame angel was behaving a little better and was coming out more, he looked fine, he still has that white spot and has had it for 11 days now. He showed some interest in the bryne shrimp and came close to it but didn't eat anything at all.

I realized a big mistake I made when dosing prazi pro, I removed the carbon, but left the purigen and filter floss, I know the filter floss is fine, but from what I just read purigen definitely can remove the medication, now I am not sure what concentration I have. Debating if I should re-dose or not, was thinking about doing a 25% water change and dosing a half dose, or doing a 25% change adding carbon in a media bag wait 2 days and dose a full dose again, not sure what to do.

I should point out that the 100 mg purigen in the media bag has ben there for 14 months... While the color on one side does look dark brown albeit not that much, the other side seems to still have some absorbing left. Not sure how much if any medication the purigen removed in this 2 and a half days.

@Eckolancer wrote:
I would do the 25% WC and dose 100% again. Little extra won't hurt Sent from pay phone in the airport. said:
Thanks, I think for now I won't make any changes, he is a lot better today active, not hiding, grazing and I think he ate a 1 square inch sheet if algae, I put it next to where he likes to hide and has been there for 2 days, today it was ripped apart, could have been the tang but doubt it because he has always been eating but ignored the algae sheet. I bought some hikari frozen spirulina brine shrimp today, he first spit some out then he relunctantly ate 2, and ignored all the others, the tang ate them as always. I have never been able to get him to eat something consistently when he does eat he seems to only like grazing versus eating what I provide. I was also going to buy some ON pigmy angel frozen cubes, but there were only 3 left and they were expiring relatively soon, they looked slightly damage and like they have been there a long time, so I decided not to, I will try to find them somewhere else, those had sponge in the ingredients. Not sure what other food a flame angel will eat because he has basically only grazed for 16 days now, he does not look thin, despite not eating or grazing for 5 days until today.

It seems like he ate the algae sheet so I will try that tomorrow.

I also checked my water params, it is back to 0 nitrate now (and more algae/macro algae lol), and maintaining 8.3 PH surprisingly with the medication, 0 ammonia 0 nitrite as expected.