How to add a second tank to my APEX system

rckrzy1

Membership Expired
I'm running into a mental block. I have added a FOWLR tank in my home. I have a full apex system on my reef. I know I have a spare apex lite unit so I can use that for the FOWLR to get my temp and ph , I also found a spare EB8 ( forgot I even had it ) .So I think I just should run the FOWLR as it's own unit but I'm wondering if it would make more sense to just get apex JR to run the FOWLR ? I only have one display unit , and I for sure want temp probe for heater control so I need to use the lite or get another module to get the temp and ph info ?I think the PM1 module added to my current system would get me all I need and then can use the current reef apex to have a display and it already has internet so all I need is a aquabus cable from FOWLR to my Reef apex. Or is there a way to just use my lite unit as a PM1 ?

If I'm understand you correctly you have these 2 options.1) Use Apex Lite with EB82) User PM1 with EB8If you use Apex Lite, it's a seperate Apex from your Reef Apex.  You would need another display or just use Fusion to control it.  For some functions you would need to use the Display but you could just move it from your display temporarily if you wanted to.If you use the PM1, then you'll just need an aqua bus cable that reaches from your reef apex to your eb8 at your fowlr.  You can then plug in your pm1 to your eb8.   

Well Neptune told me I can not have 2 controllers on same aquabus so it seems I need to just trade my LITE or just buy a PM1 . I have the Lite as a back up but have not needed it. PM1's are like $89.95 new so probably go that route. I think having 1 controller, 1 display, 1 internet connection will be simplest.Amazing how we become so dependent on modern systems. I remember the days of multiple timers on everything. I started this hobby in 1985 and have had a salt tank ever since. Never over my 180 I had in Hawaii , I seemed to have settled for 100-120 gallons. I gave up on nano's.

I'm actually on the hunt for a second used PM1 for my Apex system so I can monitor pH and temp in my QT tank (similar to what you're doing with the FOWLER).  I already have a PM2 to monitor salinity in the QT.  I also use additional temp probes to remotely monitor room temperatures of my house and fish room.  I travel a lot so this way it alerts me if I have an issue with Heat/AC in the home.

No reason you can't run the EB8 with a really long male/male USB cable, then run everything including other PMx modules off of that.  Personally I never touch my display, I just pull up fusion on my phone.  Being wired in the response time is good.

Posted by: jccaclimber No reason you can't run the EB8 with a really long male/male USB cable said:
Do not use a just a regular ole USB cable.  It could kill your Apex.  Do some research on the forums on which one to buy, if you don't want to buy an Aqua Bus cable.  You have to buy a non powered USB cable.  At a club meeting a couple of years ago we had on the Apex, the speaker told us which ones to buy.  I've purchased several and personally never had an issue with them.

Posted by: Billy [quote="Posted by: jccaclimber No reason you can't run the EB8 with a really long male/male USB cable said:
Do not use a just a regular ole USB cable.  It could kill your Apex.  Do some research on the forums on which one to buy, if you don't want to buy an Aqua Bus cable.  You have to buy a non powered USB cable.  At a club meeting a couple of years ago we had on the Apex, the speaker told us which ones to buy.  I've purchased several and personally never had an issue with them."]Correct, non powered. I'll see if I can dig up what I used. How far is the run?

This is what I ordered.  But they are only 15'.https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030303&p_id=5445&seq=1&format=2 

I haven't found anything passive and reasonably priced for unpowered cables over 15'. I did however find 10' passive extensions you could add on.