How long to ban a fish to sump... - ...for pestering a new fish

[Ok, I'm not sure I will have to do it yet, but I may need to ban my purple tang to the sump for a short while. Yesterday, we bought a copperband that is basically the same size as our purple tang. We knew this might be a problem since tangs are "like that". However, we have many aiptasia (too many for me to go after with Joe's Juice) and I bought 3 peppermint shrimp last week (fairly large ones) and the flame cardinal had some nice meals over a couple days. The purple tang has not incessantly pestered the copperband, but since the purple is a constant tank swimmer, every time he goes to the side of the tank that the copperband now stays, he will make his "bossiness" known.

As you can guess, the purple tang is the basic ruler of the tank. I don't like the fact that right now the copperband is hovering on one side of the tank and won't wander because of the tang. He holds his own against the tang when necessary, but you can tell he doesn't want to bother with him, so he stays in one small area of the tank.

So, question is...if I catch the purple today and put him in the sump to give the copperband some room, how long is sufficient amount of time to leave the tang in sump so that when he is reintroduced in the tank, he thinks of himself as the last in and not BEFORE the copperband? A week? Two weeks?

Thanks for any help!
Jody]