How do I tell if I have a mated pair?

scttwhtmr

Membership Expired
I have 2 black ocellaris clownfish and I think they may be paired but how do I tell? I would love to breed them but I don't know anything about it. They currently reside in my 72 bowfront with only a lawnmower blenny as additional stock. Do I need to move them to a smaller tank? How do I "promote their interest" so to say? Thanks for the help.

There is a difference between *mated* and *paired* .... many clown fish will *pair* and never have any babies together ... just a male and female buddies. A mated pair will lay eggs. Mine just laid eggs several days ago ... they can now be considered *mated*. It took mine ... almost 3 years.

If you are into the clownfish specifically for breeding ... it may be a while or possibly never with the two you currently have. ... They WILL establish their sex. That doesn't mean they will mate. .....or find someone selling *mated* pairs and ask for picture proof. Too many people sell paired fish as mated. It may be they just don't know or they could be deliberately deceptive.

User: KCaquatics may have more information on this for you ... as well, there are others successfully breeding clownfish in this club.

I hadn't intended on breeding but saw some "pairing" behaviors. I haven't seen any eggs so they aren't mated. Thanks for the info.