How Catjuggler got rid of Dinoflagellates (maybe)haha

Catjuggler

Premium Member
Hi everyone its Catjuggler again. I wanted to share my experience with the dreaded dino. My setup is a 90 gallon reef with fish and a 35 gallon long refugeium. I use ro/di from my 5 stage ro/di filter. I have a few koralia 3s so the flow is great. 2 250 metal halides and 2 96 watt super actinics all with new bulbs that i change every six months. Well my tds started to go up in the water from my filter( bad membrane). I didnt think using it while i was waitng for the new filters would be that bad,man was i wrong. I started to have brown snot with bubbles in it that first week my tds went up. I did alot of research and i figured it was dinoflagellates. I brought a sample to a couple fish stores and they told me it was cynao, since i have only been in the hobby for about a year I figured they were right and i was wrong so i started to treat for cyano. I started to use chems that were made for cyano and started to do water changes at 30 percent every few days. Wow is that when it got bad, I started to have snails and crabs die and when one of my favorite fish the dragon goby died i had had enough. It was covering everything now. I care about my fish alot and it tore me up. So I decided that i was gonna try another route, In the back of my mind i keep thinking back to the pics i saw of dino and i just decided I would get another opinion about my problem. I went and got a hd camera from a friend and took some really good pics of it. I also took another sample of the snot to a few more stores. What do you know everyone told me it was dino this time, So now i was at least pointed in the right direction.

I did lots of research about dinos and found that it was a hobby killer. I started to get afraid i wouldnt be able to handle the problem and more stuff would die, BUT I decided I would not be impeded from fixing the prolem. I started to look for ways to get rid of it and I found many, so many it was making me dizzy. To make things worse it didnt seem like anyone used the same cure and the fix for some people didnt work for others. Here are the things i found to help.
1. black out for 2 to 3 days at a time.
2. raise ph to 8.6
3.uv filter
4.taking out rocks and scrubing them or just getting new rocks.
5. hydrogen peroxide 1ml to 10gal dose
6.sucking it out. which i didnt want to do because i would have to put fresh saltwater in and it would cause the dinos to bloom, which brings me to 7
7. Absolutely no water changes, none what so ever. It just fuels it
8. 100 micron filter sock, it will filter the dinos out and catch the dying dinos too
There were a few more but these were the ones most people were using

As soon as i knew it was dino I started the blackout and the raised ph. I would turn the lights out for 3 days and put black sheets over my tank. I raised my ph by using limewater and reducing my aeration by lowering my powerheads. On the third day i would turn the lights on for 5 hours and feed and let my corals fluff up again. I would just repeat that over and over for a month. during this time i took out my rocks and cleaned them twice. Wow what a pain. I was starting to realize why it would make people leave the hobby. After all that the dino would just come back full force after having the lights on for a few hours. Thats when i came across a thread about using hydrogen peroxide, that really scared me because some of the people that were trying it had stuff die(ie. snails and fish), but the more i looked into it it seemed like these people may have been over dosing. I decided i was gonna try it, I mean shoot it only cost 70 cents for hydrogen peroxide and $2000 for everything in my tank. haha. So that first night I tried the hydrogen peroxide, the dinos was covering everything. I used a turkey baster and blew off all the dinos off the rock,walls, and powerheads I even blew off the stuff in the refugium so it would be in the water column. I then poured in the hydrogen peroxide next to the return pump. I used a 1ml to 10 gallon ration, so i ended up using 12mls. The next morning I checked on the tank and man was it cleaner then it had been in months. I still had some spots with dino but there were parts of my rock that looked better then before the dinos. I was floored that hydrogen peroxide could have done so much in so little time. I repeated that for two days and things were looking awesome. I decided I would turn it up a notch and bumped it to 2 doses a day 12ml in the morning and 12ml at night, still using the turkey baster to clean the surfaces off before dosing. Im at day four and I decided I would let my lights run for the full eight hours. At the end of todays light cycle there was no dinos that I could see expect a few of the big patches that were on the back but they are almost gone and they didnt grow at all today, and on top of that my tank looks so beautiful. To be honest my corals look the best i have ever seen them. They are open and growing again. I dont know if Im cured yet But Im going to continue the treatment for a week to make sure everything is gone, but it looks great so far. I cant imagine how easy it would have been if i would have tried this the moment i saw the dino. If this helps one person I will be happy. <u>GOOD LUCK AND DON'T GIVE UP </u>

Interesting. We just sucked it out with a turkey baster every time it built up, cut the light cycle by half, and waited it out.

Keep letting us know how this works out. I"ve been following that thread myself. I have to wonder what else it is killing in the system.

What else is in your filtration? Carbon? GFO? NP pellets? Ozone? Chemipure?

@Marc wrote:
Keep letting us know how this works out. I"ve been following that thread myself. I have to wonder what else it is killing in the system. What else is in your filtration? Carbon? GFO? NP pellets? Ozone? Chemipure? said:
I will. The only filtration i have is 90 pounds of rock in main display and a filter pad i make shifted around my downstem to catch the big stuff. I have a protein skimmer that i was told was for a 120. about a 20 gallon area dedicated to calurpa which i keep at 3 inchs high. I have some rowaphos in a bag in my overflow. I was having phosphate problems and someone suggested i remove my carbon and i haven't had phosphate probelms since. if the water isnt clear or it smells i might use it again but i don't think so other wise. I'm not using anything else. Should I be? haha im still new to the hobby. If anyone has questions about what im doing, post'em and i'll try and get back to you as soon as i can.

@Marc wrote:
I have to wonder what else it is killing in the system. said:
I hope nothing but I have no idea. I was thinking about the effect it would have on the biological filter(i.e. rocks) But they look great the purple is coming back and i cant find any ammonia,nitrates or nitrites. My calurpa looks great too, no yellowing or lack of growth

Sounds good so far. Keep the updates coming for the next few days / weeks whether it is good or bad. That way we can learn from your experience.

Update... Monday was the first day i stopped the blackout part of the treatment and the double dosing of the hydrogen peroxide. I ran my full eight hour cycle both today and yesterday. Everything seems great no sign of the dino. My rock seems better then ever, and only the purple coralline is left. My corals are bigger then i have ever seen. I still have no sign of nitrates or ammonia. I did not lose anything yet. I have a bubble tip, shrimps, crabs,starfish and all kinds of softies and leathers. I looked in my refugium today and there is more copepod activity then i have ever seen too. I'm going to continue the peroxide treatment til Friday but i think i have beat the dinos. I think the most important things to do are
1. lights out for 3 days at a time for the dinos to loosen from the rocks, and on forth day only run for lights 4 hours or so. repeat lights out on fifth day.
2. blowing off the rocks and sand,power heads and everything else to get it in the water column and then
3. dosing the hydrogen peroxide after blowing off everything. 1ml to ever 10 gals. depending on how u feel you can double dose. I did and nothing bad happened
2 and 3 should be done everyday
4. No water changes, none whatsoever
I don't know if this will help anyone, but i hope it does. It has given me new hope in my hobby. Don't give up

Definitely interesting. Let us know in this thread how your tank is doing in another two weeks, and again in four weeks. If there are going to be any side effects, odds are they will present themselves within four weeks' time.

@Catjuggler wrote:
Update... Monday was the first day i stopped the blackout part of the treatment and the double dosing of the hydrogen peroxide. I ran my full eight hour cycle both today and yesterday. Everything seems great no sign of the dino. My rock seems better then ever said:
I have a few questions for you. I've been battling something and I'm not entirely sure what it is. It is a rust color which is different from the cyano I've dealt with before but it kinda looked like it so I tried chem clean twice which has always worked for me then I tried a different slime remover product to no avail. Mine does not blow off rocks but comes off fairly easy with a brush. So my questions are how can you know it is Dino and do you have any xenia in your tank? I thought I read in another thread where someones xenia melted when they tried this. I'm very tempted to give it a try as I'm losing the battle otherwise. All my corals and livestock are fat and happy except my snails. The whole problem started when I added a clean up crew package and most of the tiny snails were dead but they said it could take up to three days for them to perk up so I left them there. It has gone down hill from then and the larger snails have been falling off the walls and rocks and I have been sucking out the snail shells with water changes but the rust algae is gaining on me.

Dawn, what is your magnesium level perchance? That too can affect snails adversely.

@dpenning wrote:
I have a few questions for you. I've been battling something and I'm not entirely sure what it is. It is a rust color which is different from the cyano I've dealt with before but it kinda looked like it so I tried chem clean twice which has always worked for me then I tried a different slime remover product to no avail. Mine does not blow off rocks but comes off fairly easy with a brush. So my questions are how can you know it is Dino and do you have any Xenia in your tank? I thought I read in another thread where someones Xenia melted when they tried this. I'm very tempted to give it a try as I'm losing the battle otherwise. All my corals and livestock are fat and happy except my snails. The whole problem started when I added a clean up crew package and most of the tiny snails were dead but they said it could take up to three days for them to perk up so I left them there. It has gone down hill from then and the larger snails have been falling off the walls and rocks and I have been sucking out the snail shells with water changes but the rust algae is gaining on me. said:
The way i identified it was I brought some of it to my lfs to someone with over 20 years experience and doing lots of research on the internet. In my case the dinos was also free floating so when i turned off my power heads and my return pump, the dino would just hang in the water column like snot. Thats a big sign you got dinos. Yes i do have xenia and its great, pumps super fast now that the dinos is gone. So far i have not lost anything, but that doesn't mean my tank wont crash next week. Only time will tell. But from what it looks like it doesn't seem like a 1ml to 10 gallon ratio once a day is not harmful to anything so far. If you can take pictures of said problem the people on this website would love to help you. Good Luck

I used the 1 ml/10 gallons method a while back at the first sign of dinos, and in 5 days it was gone. I cut back on the light cycle from 13 hours/day to 5 hours during that time. I also dipped a few frags that had hair algae in half peroxide and half tank water for 5 minutes, and it got rid of most of that. It got rid of some bryopsis doing that as well! Yeah H2O2! Some of the polyps did not open up for a couple of days after that.

David