HOUSE FIRE

rckrzy1

Membership Expired
Came home to smoke alarms screaming and thick smoke in the house, fire went out by itself when gfci tripped . Looks like OZ3 Generator burned up. And it was a UL labeled not a cheepy ebay made in china unit. Entire house full of soot. Tank was down to 76 degrees , but so far all seem ok. I lost one k3 as the wires got melted . gonna toss in some carbon and feed them and then meet cleaning people and adjuster in AM. This sux.

You will run fresh carbon daily, probably do a big water change, and bring in fresh air for your skimmer so it isn't drawing in the sooty air into the water column. Sorry to hear about your fire!

Hey man i hope you read this before you go to bed. YOU NEED TO PULL THE WALL NOW. There is a chance that the fire is still in the wall and could rekindle over night and spread to the attic. Pull the wall and everything out until you stop finding black or charred insulation

@goober35 wrote:
Hey man i hope you read this before you go to bed. YOU NEED TO PULL THE WALL NOW. There is a chance that the fire is still in the wall and could rekindle over night and spread to the attic. Pull the wall and everything out until you stop finding black or charred insulation said:
Oh wow, thats logical and disturbing.

Left him a voicemail. He didn't pick up.

don't known why ozone gen went up in smoke, melted and burned but did not trip the gfci or CB till it melted through the ac line to the K3, this is all an educated guess but I have soot in every inch of the house , every INCH. Here with cleaning people now, waiting on adjuster to show up. Fire was verified out as back of fire goes into closet for furnace.

Good to hear you could confirm the fire was out. If a fire gets in the wall and travels up in the wall it is over, the attic will ignite and then the house is gone.

In this hobby we need to understand that we are putting a heavy electrical load on one socket or breaker and it is at its limits 24/7 and after time it will cause the lines to slowly heat up and break down the protective coating if it is drawing to much power. It might be advisable to split the load up over 2 breakers or to at least test the amps that are being drawn to confirm that the circuit is not being over loaded.

@goober35 wrote:
Good to hear you could confirm the fire was out. If a fire gets in the wall and travels up in the wall it is over said:
my tank has it's own 20amp dedicated circuit with new lines run by me but 20 amps gives the device alot power/heat and gfci don't care about loads , only unbalanced loads, but ozone is generated by high voltage and after having a uv sterilizer a couple years ago and now this i'm rethinking my use of hv devices.

but i know my smoke alarms worked [smilie=wink.gif] but my lungs are feeling lousy today.

OK, does anyone know which LFS's or companies that can move my tank to the other end of the dining room while repairs are being made ? I need the corals etc and maybe fish removed and the tank drained to sand bed and maybe use sliders or whatever to move this tank as they will need behind the tank to replace the wall and I don't have it in me to do it
again myself ( as some may recall I had a seam failure not long ago ) and the insurance company said they would pay to move the tank.

So PM if you are a company and or know tank movers that will bill my insurance company or give me an estimate. I'm so drained right now as my house was perfect 6 mos ago and now it's trashed.

Adam

Ok, Mid Cities will do for me, Thank God because I just can't deal with this right now, I mean this year, a divorce, move and then tank failure due to move a couple of months
ago and just got it all going again and now the tank has to be moved to make repairs and then moved back . I'm so glad I found some help to do this , apparently they do this stuff
for insurance companies all the time.

well all this means so little compared to what I just found out, My 22yr old niece is in the ICU with sepsis and she is with child . Here life is hanging by a thread , not to
mention her unborn child. She is stationed in Las Vegas where her husband serves in the USAF.