High ph

[on my 90 gallon i have chronicly had ph around 8.5. currently my water parameters are as follows:
ph 8.5
nitrate 12mg/L
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
salinity 1.023
dkh 7
calcium 420
this tank has been up and running for nearly 2 years
i have heard that vinegar can reduce ph.
i would like to add buffer for the dkh only at 7 but im thinking that would just raise the ph more. tank is running 220 vho and 2 x 250 mh, approx 150 lbs live rock and a 3.5 inch dsb of black tahitian sand. tank has softies, lps, and sps.if i have missed anything let me know
Kevin]

[As long as you see no issues leave it alone. The average reef pH is actually about 8.4 so your actually very close to optimal.

How big are your changes? You will have the lowest pH just before lights on and the highest several hours after lights on.

If you really want to lower while raising your alk you could add baking soda. The pH is low if you don't cook it but once again I would say don't worry about it your good.]

[not more than .1 change i would say. everything is doing well, and has been for over a year with the ph like this.sps, clam, etc all seem ok.
your saying to add some baking soda, vs. a commercial buffer for alk?
if so how much per the gallonage?]

[I agree If everyone is happy let it be. As soon as you start messing with it everything will start crashing around your ears. Do you add Kalk at night or a reactor? That can jack with the PH. I run mine at night now and my Ph dropped .2 pts from 8.5 to 8.3 But might want to test the or kit. I had 2 bad meters and a bad test kit What a mess.]

[Most of the commercial buffers are made to raise pH as that is what most people desire. In reality your just looking to get bicarbonate. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate and will work just as well as any of the commercial stuff!

Stop by the Reef Chemistry forum at RC and search baking soda. The chemical gurus have no issues with it!]

[Wow, a guy with high pH for once. How would you like to buy 10g of B-Ionic from me, so I can recoup my losses? Mine is the kind that will maintain your alk and calcium, without affecting pH, unlike the regular B-Ionic.

I accidentally ordered BiCarbonate, which I was unable to return. It is brand new and never used a drop. Let me know.]

@Marc wrote:
[Wow said:
[Marc do you have a picture of this product?
I have never seen something that only effect calcium and alk and not pH. They are all directly related. But if you have something that says that I want to research it.

Chevy truck man,
What are you using to measure the pH? a probe or hand held system is still .001 + or -. If you use a test kit then these can be way off the mark and hard to read.

Wait a couple of days and it will drop.]

[I tried to look it up on CustomAquatics.com, but it isn't even listed as far as I can tell.

I have one 5g bucket of Alkalinity, and one 5g bucket of Calcium. According to ESV themselves, this is a special order item that is rarely wanted and usually ordered mistakenly. It is always nice to know this after it arrives, right? :uhoh:

It cost me $100 shipped to my door, and I'd really like to make my money back as I never used a single drop.

esv.jpg
alt="">

esv_p2.jpg
alt="">

esv_p1.jpg
alt="">]

@chevytrks wrote:
[testing using a Hagen kit Marc how much for that supplement and what sizeis it?] said:
[Those type of test kits are not very accurate.
A hand held meter or probe would help you out and pay it's self off in no time.]