help with setting up Coralife Super Skimmer?

I have tried to setup the 65g model of the Coralife Super Skimmer but it does not seem to be working as directed in the instructions... the pump adjustment and the water level adjustment just don't seem to setup as instructed for break in... let alone when I run the ps wide open... it completely over flows my skimmer cup with water.

any one?

(Also, could someone explain what happens during "break-in" period... do you get cup after cup of wastewater that is looks just like "water")

I have the same skimmer. You need to adjust the dial so that the micro bubbles come up to the lower part of the collection cup cylinder. for a coouple of days you might have to check and adjust it due to water evaporation if you have it setup in your sump. It took a few days before i began to get any skimmate in my collection cup. I got clear foam bubbles until my skimmer broke in. The directions really are not that clear on setting up the skimmer. You mainly want to make the proper adjustments by turning the red dial to get the bubbles at the lower part of the neck in the cylinder.

do you have your pump wide open? Mine floods when wide open... but I have it dialed back at the pump... I don't like that but I have no choice at the moment... it is in hang on mode in my sump. Thanks for the post.

I have a CSS 125. Theses skimmers can be a bit finiky dialing in. Mine took a few days for it to break in. You can rinse it out in hot water which helps speed up the break in. During the break in have the bubble level just before it starts to go in the riser tube in the collection cup, this will keep you from flooding. There is alot of info and mods on this skimmer over at reef central.

Make sure the pump is far enough underwater. I think the directions say 3".

I had mine a couple of inches too low at first. That ring around the skimmer lets you slide the skimmer up and then friction keeps it at that spot in the ring. If you've got it too high, that might account for the pump overwhelming the skimmer. Too low and it didn't run well at all.

My pump is wide open, and the skimmer adj dial is about 1.5 notches from open.

okay... that makes sense... I think.

I don't have whole skimmer raised and it is using the 1.5" tubing to connect the pump.

I think the problem is that the whole protein Skimmer is not raised enough from the water level... though my pump is at the optimium water level... not too deep... not too shallow... I think the whole skimmer itself is too low on the side of the sump... it is just sitting on the plastic ring that holds the skimmer in default position... so that maybe why.... when the pump is on it is just pushing through faster than the output can handle and that is why my bubble trap is overflowing too.... (and I'm already out of head room in my cabinet)

I give this PS a few more days and if not... back to F & S.

I ended up cutting a custom length tubing myself that is about 1" longer than the long one that comes with it. The water in my sump at that point is about 10" deep.

I think I've got the skimmer raised about 2" beyond the "default" spot where the ring would rest against the skimmer body. (i.e., it is 2" above what would be the lowest hang position of the skimmer).

But the only reason I had to raise the skimmer body was to raise the pump underwater to the right level. If your pump is 3" under the surface, then the skimmer can hang right where it is. It sounds like you just need to adjust the red dial down some. I think I started mine down about 3 notches, and then increased over a couple of days to where it is now once it stabilized. Now it runs really well.

I also removed the annoying basket and sponge thing that the output is supposed to go into, and used a 3/4" pvc elbow and about 6" of tubing to just run it straight under water. No problem with bubbles or anything, because the water has a long way to travel through the refugium before it heads back to the tank. Much quieter that way, and you don't have to constantly clean the white floss/sponge (which gets clogged fast and makes the basket overflow).

Well, I figured out two things that will help anyone with a too much flow problem in this protein skimmer. No mods required really... and it works perfectly. I wish they would have put this in their instructions... I haven't seen this anywhere on the web but it is the trick to this skimmer.

*This skimmer must be used in a compartment or HOB method with a constant water level... it cannot be used in a evaporation compartment IMHO.

1. The water level adjustment valve can not only be turned left or right to adjust flow but pulled up completely to fully open the outlet pipe. Very cool trick. No leaks either. Just pull that valve straight up...

2. If the nipple on the outlet pipe can be completely covered and shut off... then the water level in the protein skimmer with no longer over flow and come down to a more steady level which then you can adjust with the water level adjustment if need be... now the rio 1100 can be left wide open not reducing the life of the pump.

Anyway... I wanted to share my ticks I discovered. It seems to be skimming pretty good (medium green liquid slowly building in the cup) and is truly now in its break in period because I am leaving it unchanged for 72 hours.

I'm very happy now with this skimmer.

Thanks for everyone's help and ideas.

later
dangermon

So, how much is the Coralife Super Skimmer 65 suppose to collect?

I know this is a "Well, it depends..." question but I like input from others...

I have collected a total of 1/3 of the skimmate cup of dark, green thick water over the last 5 days... is that about right? Slow and steady skimming...

I'm happy with the quality of skimmate though it is not black sludge but it is hard to see through it.

Of course, I only 3 small fish in my 55 gallon and the bio load is very minimal.