help with fish list

wrhenry

Premium Member
So, I am looking to establish my fish list for my 125g. First off, let me say that I have aquascaped to allow ample swimming room and still allow for the corals I want. I will be moving some fish from my 30g in, and then working from that. For those of you who read about Bob the orange spot diamond Goby, I will be moving him in after I have added a few chromis to ensure things are good. Going from there, will be my male mandarin Jet Li ( he is a true ninja and made it through Bobs reconstruction of the sand bed so he was renamed), and my single PJ Joep ( also a survivor). So here is my list of what I am thinking and then some possible based on job that I will need help on.

Bob the Goby
Joe the PJ cardinal, will need a friend so might as well add
Jet Li the blue mandarin ( looking for another female that eats brine if anyone knows where I can find one)
Hawaiian Naso ( with streamers)
Hippo/regal blue tang
Powder Blue Tang
Wrass ( still up in the air, but something to keep the pests down and keep my bristle worm population in check)
Pair of clowns ( really like the snow onyx, but I may move my black clowns in if they can mind their manners, currently residing in a nano alone as they were being bullies)
Royal gramma
Dwarf Flame Angel
Fire fish
Blue headed jaw fish ( not exactly sure of the name, saw one and it was gorgeous)
Watchman/ pistol pair
And if there is room, a yellow tang

So, if anyone has any suggestions to add or swap out I am all ears. I was trying to get a range in the water column and keep most of then smaller fish but allow for the tangs. I love tangs and they would be my priority. I am sure there are plenty of other fish I want, but trying to limit myself is hard enough. There are also a lot of fish that I don't know what they eat or help with and some I have seen that I can't name. Really want some colorful fish and as stated, keep different depth in the water. I figure the gobies will stay in the bottom to kee that active, wrass and mandarins will cruise the live rocks, tangs and chromis will give some swimming action and the pj's will hang out somewhere like art. Then the fire fish and jaw fish will be ornaments around mid tank from what I have seen. And the jaw fish will find a little cave to guard. So I think that is a good mix. Looking for suggestions I think I need some more reds and purples. Thought about the banghai cardinals, but I already have Joe. All advice and suggestions are appreciated, unless someone lectures me on the powder blue again lol. I purposely gave up real estate for corals to allow room.
Thanks guys!

Fire fish are cool. I'd spend a little more for the purple ones. I would swap the blue regal for a yellow tang. Blue regal will outgrow a 125 in a couple years. Or a nice sailfin tang if you can afford the jump in price tag.

not sure if there is room for a yellow tang and the yellow and powder blue might not see eye to eye. Your list is really nice. If you have room and don't over do your bio-load, I love my copperbanded butterfly. As far as reef safe he's been an angel (knock on wood) I love his behavior and I haven't had a stalk of aiptasia since adding him. I even bought a rock with aiptasia on it for $30 just for a treat for him. you can't have feather dusters though, and it thinks the tentacles of snails are worms and will hit at them, but they just withdraw and no harm no foul

Thanks guys! I thought about the copper band and it might be a good addition. Didn't know that the two wouldn't get along. Might have to leave the yellow out. If there is room the copper band might take the place. I agree on the fire fish. I think I will take the time to find the right one, a helfrichi is my goal. But I like the standard reddish color too. Just have to see what I can find. Budget is always an issue as there are always other things to add to the tank. But I know the order in which I add the fish also plays a part. Any idea what order to add? I would think the tangs at the last and as a group.

Any ideas on the wrass? I like several different ones but no idea on temperament or habits. The six line seems kind of overplayed and as I am going with the same tangs everyone else likes, I would like to have something other than the norm on a wrass. Just need to make sure he gets along and doesn't eat my CUC.

@wrhenry wrote:
Thanks guys! I thought about the copper band and it might be a good addition. Didn't know that the two wouldn't get along. Might have to leave the yellow out. If there is room the copper band might take the place. I agree on the fire fish. I think I will take the time to find the right one said:
one thing about tangs is they will fight with tangs of the same body style (as they realize that there will be a completion for food (some body = they will eat the same thing in their eyes). That's why "sometimes" purples, yellows, powder blues, etc. will tend to fight' whereas you have a better chance with a powder blue and say a naso. there are tons of stories where they get along, but just as many where they don't. it's a crap shoot

Territorial fish last. fish like the Firefish and gobies first. Anthias, and other peaceful fish after. then Tangs, then royal gramma, basslets, and wrasses after, Dwarf Angels and clowns last since those will be most territorial especially with their own species. I added my Angel in first since he's my favorite, but I was lucky. When i added my 3 Bartlett's Anthias, he chased them around for about 2-3 days, then stopped. Now they're happy like 2 peas in a pod.

Cool! Thanks brother! That's what I needed was a list order. I didn't know that about dwarf angels. I tried one twice and my clowns took them out. So, after talking to my wife the black clowns are staying in their nano. If I decide on more clowns, I can always add them after. That's really good to know. I had no idea how territorial and mean the clowns were. It was an expensive lesson. I also didn't know that about the wrasses. That give me a while to decide which wrass to get. I was planning on trying to find a mate for Jet first and getting a fire fish as my first additions after I move Bob in. Still don't know about the jawfish. I have been looking for the blue headed one I saw. So far no luck, found a yellow headed but that isn't it. I would guess on your listing that he would need to be added in the front of the list. As far as bio load, am I cutting it too close? I know every tank is different but thus is a pretty big list. Thanks again for the input!!

So, I found my tangs, Hawaiian naso ( male) and a regal/hippo, and I will be adding them next week. Also have a yellow headed jawfish coming in any day. So I need a yellow watch man and a purple fire fish. Also if anyone has a female mandarin, I would like to have another one. If not think guess jet is going to be a loner. If I can't find them, I guess I will just have to go without if you guys think adding after is a problem. The Hawaiian naso male is what I really want and at 6.5" he is a beauty. I can't get a better price and he is fat and healthy. From what I have heard, I need to add the tangs together. But I don't think I can afford another powder blue along with the other two tangs. Especially if I have to find and add these other fish in first. So any ideas? I thought about finding a surrogate home for the tangs until I add what I need to add first, but I imagine that'd be tough. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. I almost wish I hadn't found these fish lol.

I hate to rain on a parade, but when you post on here you open yourself up to "advice." Your tank is 51" and not a small tank at all; but it's borderline for any tang. I had a 48" and a 4" naso and it didn't really have enough swimming room. Now you are talking about a nice sized naso in a similar sized tank. My advice for what it's worth, if you want a naso tang and they are neat fish but I'd look for a small one, with the understanding that it will also eventually outgrow your tank and you will have to part with it. Maybe 3" or so at most. The 6.5 inch will fit in your tank, but you want to be fair to the fish also. just an opinion

I understand and expect it. From what I have read it is dependent on the fish. I have seen a larger one in a smaller tank and the fish seemed happy. I postioned the live rock to allow swim throughs and places for him to fit comfortably and also places for a larger fish to hide. I know these guys get a foot long and I would never be able to keep a fish that size or even close in a tank this size. If he isn't happy then he will need a new home. The tank he is in is smaller than mine, 105g and not as deep as mine nor as tall but he seems fine. Doesn't appear stressed and is fat and healthy he eats readily. Its not a huge fish, he is about the length of a $1 bill. I figured several people would tell me he is too big and j have talked to several who said he will be fine and happy. Fish also don't always grow at a set rate. For example, two tangs could be placed in a tank at the same time and the same size and in 2 years one has gone from 2" to 6" and the other went from 2" to 3". It all depends on the fish and environment. There is a lot of room for a 6" fish to move around in. I don't want to be cruel to anything but the majority of tangs are captured and have to adjust to aquarium life from the open ocean. I'm not trying to argue as I understand your point, but even if I start with a 3" fish, it will reach 6" eventually and could do it in a year or so. I wouldn't get rid of it if it was happy. If he isn't happy then I am fairly certain I can find him an new home and start over. I appreciate the advice, but I may not always agree. Doesn't mean I don't value anyone's opinion or advice either. Thanks as always for your input and experience Jimi.

I certainly don't mind an "agree to disagree," and I agree with your size analogy; take Manute Bol and a midget, both are humans. I also know that a lot of people have kept tangs in small tanks and said that the fish was happy, but I don't understand how they would know. Fish don't talk LOL. As far as the 3" opposed to the 6.5 inch, yes the 3" will eventually outgrow the tank, as I mentioned in my post, I only mentioned the smaller one if you were set on a naso tang. I certainly hope that things work out well for you and the naso, the last thing I want to a losing situation. I've seen bigger fish in smaller tanks. Good luck to you and the tang, I'm sure both will be happy!

@wrhenry wrote:
Any ideas on the wrass? I like several different ones but no idea on temperament or habits. The six line seems kind of overplayed and as I am going with the same tangs everyone else likes said:
Melanarus is a good one.

@wrhenry wrote:
So said:
I would have no problem putting a large tang in a 4 foot tank whatsoever. I feel I am relatively accomplished when it comes to keeping and maintaining tangs. In that size tank I would limit myself to that one large "show fish" and simply be careful when choosing his tank mates. That said... How large is the hippo?

@1badbluehb wrote:
[I]@wrhenry wrote:[/I][quote=" I would have no problem putting a large tang in a 4 foot tank whatsoever. I feel I am relatively accomplished when it comes to keeping and maintaining tangs. said:
"]

I'm sure I'm "not as accomplished" as 1badbluehb, so I let my fingers do the walking and in Googling up tank size for 6" naso, out of perhaps 30 sites and 100s of threads, I saw ONE that said a 4' tank "might be suitable." Perhaps all these people all around the world are wrong and our very own accomplished tang expert is right; who knows. I can raise dogs and have a big dog in a chain link kennel and I promise that not one dog will say he's unhappy. Or a horse in a small stall all day, unless he's Mr. Ed he's not going to tell me he's unhappy. Do you have the right to keep a fish in a smaller then recommended tank? absolutely; we're humans. We do as we want, such as keeping a big lion in a small cage. But if you want to do what's right and you even mentioned that you'd have a lot of people saying the tank was to small, then do your own research. Just Google naso tang up and decide for yourself. Nasos have been put in smaller tanks for sure. People will get on here and say it's ok, or it's not. But there has to be a reason that experts give a minimum tank size for a fish.

Along with what I an saying concerning a lot of people- I get conflicting answers as to keeping corals too. Obviously MH and LED's are the "right" light for certain corals, but just as anything, can you keep some in a tank with T5? Sure. Will they grow and be as " happy" as they would under "proper" lighting, no. So all I was saying is tomayto vs.tomahto.

@wrhenry wrote:
Along with what I an saying concerning a lot of people- I get conflicting answers as to keeping corals too. Obviously MH and LED's are the "right" light for certain corals said:
I understand, I really do. There have been successes with all studies. Some SPS coral grows under T-5s, for sure. I saw Crack31's tank in person and it was a beauty. But a coral can let you know how it's doing by not thriving, a fish cannot, therefore we go to the experts and not just wait until we hear what we want to hear. If you read about the Naso and I learned some stuff, they are made to haul butt across the tank. Doesn't mean they have to but 99% of all experts say they should. Just read and make your decision. I've seen worse, believe me. I've seen 4" nasos in 30 gallon tanks. I don't think it cruel to have a large naso tang in a 4' tank, but it doesn't appear to me to be optimum conditions for the fish and I've seen your posts and know that your are concerned with their well being. Good luck either way!

@JimiH wrote:
[I]@1badbluehb wrote:[/I][quote="[I]@wrhenry wrote:[/I][quote=" I would have no problem putting a large tang in a 4 foot tank whatsoever. I feel I am relatively accomplished when it comes to keeping and maintaining tangs. said:
"]

I'm sure I'm "not as accomplished" as 1badbluehb, so I let my fingers do the walking and in Googling up tank size for 6" naso, out of perhaps 30 sites and 100s of threads, I saw ONE that said a 4' tank "might be suitable." Perhaps all these people all around the world are wrong and our very own accomplished tang expert is right; who knows. I can raise dogs and have a big dog in a chain link kennel and I promise that not one dog will say he's unhappy. Or a horse in a small stall all day, unless he's Mr. Ed he's not going to tell me he's unhappy. Do you have the right to keep a fish in a smaller then recommended tank? absolutely; we're humans. We do as we want, such as keeping a big lion in a small cage. But if you want to do what's right and you even mentioned that you'd have a lot of people saying the tank was to small, then do your own research. Just Google naso tang up and decide for yourself. Nasos have been put in smaller tanks for sure. People will get on here and say it's ok, or it's not. But there has to be a reason that experts give a minimum tank size for a fish."]

I dont "disagree" with this post but I think it is a bit of overkill. Liveaquaria states that the min tank size is 180g for the naso but the max size is 1'6". The naso he is referencing is 1/3 the max size so the argument could be made that it could "live" (maybe not thrive) in a tank 1/3 the size (60g) his is 105. I am not saying that I would/wouldnt put it in there but some of these min tank sizes take into account that you will keep the fish in this tank for the life of the fish. Would you follow the 180g tank size recommendation for a 2-3" naso? As he stated he understands that at some point he will have to move the fish, and we all know how much we like to upgrade tanks. Finally, I firmly trust 1badbluehb when it comes to what fish in what tank with what mates. He has like 15-20 tangs in his 225g (IIRC) that I would say are more than thriving IMHO.

So so sorry... I didn't mean to make jimi hendrix mad. I love "little wing" its one of my favorite songs. I was just giving my opinion that I think a 6" naso in a 125 will do okay... This is not based on what I've read... It's based on what I've DONE. Again... sorry... I'll step out and let you guys continue to walk with your fingers.

again, you can take 10 dogs and put them in a small room and say they are thriving and they won't say otherwise. As far as LiveAquaria, it's easy to understand what they are saying (just as all the experts in the field are saying) a naso should have a a minimum of 180 tank; obviously the larger fish need a larger tank. Everyone can argue against the experts, not a problem. I'm certainly an expert, but I can read. And if someone asks my opinion on putting a 6.5" naso in a 51" tank, everything I've read shows otherwise (including LiveAquaria)