help- sump, am I doing it right?

petedes5

Premium Member
I just got my Waterbox 70 gallon reef edition (not marine). And this will be my first sump. I want a refugium and a protein skimmer. Left side of sump- 2 filter socks. This goes to the middle chamber, here I plan on placing my refugium and heater. Is there a better spot for a heater?Back right chamber- that will be my return.Front right chamber- that will be my auto top offNow, where do I put my protein skimmer?View attachment 8186

That sump doesn't look big enough for all you are wanting to do unfortunately.How big is that middle section? Do you already have a skimmer that will fit in there?I don't think you will have room for a refugium, unless you have a small enough skimmer and  can add another baffle to make another section.

I'm with Chris. I think you may struggle to do both a skimmer and a refugium.Refugiums, IMO, are a nice to have but not a must have. I'd opt for a skimmer if forced to pick.

it's a waterbox 70.2 gallon that came with sump. I've googled and people have split the middle chamber with either acrylic or plexiglass for the protein skimmer/fuge. The middle chamber is large. I know a skimmer is a must, but I really want a fuge down the road. Do you have any recommendations for a narrow sized skimmer for a 70 gallon reef? 

The bubble Magus skimmers are pretty slim. Without know the exact dimensions you are working with, I couldn't tell you for sure.If you can post the inside measurements of that middle section, we might be able to help you find something that will fit. :)

I'm not going to lie and say it's ideal, but as long as you don't want to regularly pull your skimmer for maintenance you can surround one with chaeto.  The key is building a cage (not just a grate, a cage so there's some distance) with egg crate around your skimmer inlet so that it doesn't clog with chaeto.