Heck of a find at the Dallas North Used pile..

I went in to Dallas North Aquarium to talk to them about stocking my companies Fish and Coral food (a story by itself) during my lunch hour last thursday.

Now Ill be the first to admit that I am a penny pincher, its probably saved my wife and myself alot of money though.

In any case I was done talking with Wayne and was perusing the used items shelves (I cant afford new prices on most hardware:p). I have always wanted a dimmer for my Icecap VHO ballast, not a timer but a real dimmer that dims the bulbs to simulate the sun rising and falling.

Champion Lighting has a product called the Solar Dimmer 1000, it does the gradual dimming and even keeps track of solar solstice and simulates stormy weather! Unfortunately they are hard to find for under $350.

Well, low and behold I saw one in the used pile! Its price was sort of hard to read, it could have been 49.99 or 99.99. The 4-9 looked wierd, like someone had no idea what to price it at. So I walked to the register and asked the nice girl how much it was, after some deliberation with her boss they sold it to me for $50!

OMG, its so awesome. I have it running right now and the VHO actinics actually dim! When the sun is coming up the actinics slowly go up in brightness. So cool.

Moral of the story? You never know what youll find at the DNA used shelves!

Nick

I've had one of those for 2 years sitting in a closet. My understanding is you need foil tape for the bulbs. Is that true?
I've never hooked mine up- came with the system i bought.

Dunno Matt,
As mine works now, its hooked to 2 4 foot vhos.
At 10% its only barely lighting one bulb, as i ramp it up that bulb gets brighter and at 60% the other bulb turns on. Ive been debating on doing the ground plate idea, ill see how much work is involbed and move from there.

ya i went yesterday to look for a mandarin an went by the used section

they have two 175w bell pendents for 100 and 75 the cheaper one just needs to be wired nutted and spliced.

soo if anyone wants a cheap halide setup there ya go just prob needs new bulbs