Heaters?

300 or 500 W....

If your house stays colder than the water and the temp needs to be raised all the time, go with the larger wattage. If its occasional usage, then go with the lower.

These are new products but the concept sounds good..

http://tinyurl.com/39add5

I switched to a hyrdo Theo, they are virtually unbreakable and have a good reliability history. I have used titanium wands previously by Won Brothers and Pro-Heat but have read too many things about them failing to continue to use them.

Many folks subscribe to the "two-lower-wattage heaters theory", that way if one fails, you still have a back up (albeit one that has to work a little longer/harder to maintain the temp).

I'm currently in the market for a new heater now that my sump is up and running I'll be watching this thread for other's advice as well.

@Double M wrote:
Many folks subscribe to the "two-lower-wattage heaters theory" said:
That takes care of one not coming on, unfortunately the vast number of incidents are where one sticks on and doesn't shut off.

Consider purchasing a temp controller and a very reliable thermometer with a high and low audio alarm and keep a spare on hand at all times.

Recently i had a heater stick on in my 24 gal. nano. Temp reached 88. I was so lucky everything is doing well. Except my gonipora hasnt opened back up yet. :sad:
Reason i started this thread was looking in DFS magazine and there heaters werent large enough for my big tank. So were would i find a 500 watt if i needed one for my big tank?

Theo makes a 400 watt heater that you can get form Foster$Smith for 28.99. I have on is my fug. It is glass though. I would not use one of these unless it was hooked to a controller.

@DennisF wrote:
I would not use one of these unless it was hooked to a controller. said:
Ditto!.

@AldenteP. wrote:
So were would i find a 500 watt if i needed one for my big tank? said:
http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/categorypage.asp?CatID=he

Theo is the brand heater that just faulted on me. So i would agree on the controller thing.I am looking into that now.

I would recommend 3w per gallon, divided between two heaters. A perk is that smaller heaters are less long and fit in your sump area easily.

135g x 3 = 405watts. Buy two 200w heaters. I've used Ebo Jager for years. Hydor makes some decent ones. Aqueon is also gaining popularity.

i am using 3 heaters or at least plan on for my 265 i am going to use 3 200 w ebo jagers and setting them pretty close to each other so it will heat in 3 stages in the winter. None in summer.

I run 4 250 watter Jagers on my ~600G of water.

I replace them every year as part of maint. The worst peice of equipment in our tanks hands down! They're controlled by an aquacontroller as well.

As mentioned above I would not use a heater unless connected to a controller. It has been my experience that they often stick on when they fail and a controller would over ride and shut off the heater