Hard Plumbing... or at least partly

Joe

Membership Expired
Currently, I have flexible vinyl tubing off of the overflow and into the Sump.  My problem is that I have moved my Cheato into the first section of the sump since it is larger.... I have a very powerful LED light that grows the Cheato.... Amazingly!!!  .... but because the vinyl tubing is see through there is all kinds of nasty looking algae growing in the tubes. Picture of drain and Tubing I would love to hard plumb... but I don't know if I really know how to do all of that. So I was thinking of just getting some flexible pvc pipe and replacing the vinyl.... Any thoughts? Also, how do I know what size to get.... How do I know what size will fit the (is it bulkhead?) the hole coming out of the overflow drain? Would love any input or help! Thanks!Here is a video of the full sump setup. Video of sump set up 
TShC9S9tNUW4JcWjZxDRf5Gi_2d6deViV25mrBzOe_niya4LYsaHpnfAXWbilFObqrYRy4iTNk4pJ9DnYdbWv3Y1Duz0t-_ppvWu2G_OOfkSTUe3BkzBcqCr9TFPpUI2Rb96_DJ4WHLzE70CJEn077k86jtJJ76Ha1tbDpIp2m_JZqykSeDA0xRYB6j_xumGh3Q7fsn-OSO9MDtN6LLte5DJdDfaqaCQG9Kjezda-TQtYfan4VdlbD4ya1bqVKAL-ehQCiP0JaKOzE3reYTvoZuFhJsmMxYYz3RXnPVWRbyDrvB53_4ZOwNlGz8pAvNqOMleE-m64mrVKtLqo6ihcNkxD0L0h-D2PP_Vq11b22Fh79yS0fxG1TZ8tFvrHg_Ai2fgr8vx48ov5kWrkdBTH2Mb66ovWlytTXFBJzZqMBOu9oP2nnEyXjA7q4S1qJFt-mXgrBB9zKO8FXVw-PYG6le6yd-VsQ586odsBAXAtn77XN3Aw7i33oQmaF5FPBVbMbfYz2rpStMg_AWYi-YWVgZ1p721VxlRYew3AnFoGIcOSAvDCOXYrgOal2ylK5IC1qmHDosFpDFIxW0qXR4UoW09f2UYrIE5cViPATpHIA=w1326-h995-no
/>

Hi Joe,  yes those are bulkheads under the tank with barb fittings attached for the tubing.  Question is, if you want to hard plumb, are those barb fittings screwed in or glued in.If your worried about the algae growing in the tubing I would just replace it with black tubing instead of clear so there is no light penetration. 

Those look like threaded bulkheads.  If you wanted to go with spaflex (flexible pvc) I would replace the bulkheads with slip bulkheads and glue the connections.  Otherwise, I agree with Chris.  You could purchase black vinyl hose and utilize the existing bulkheads.

If all you want to do is not see the algae, black flexible tubing is the easy option, spa flex being another easy option.  If you want to go with rigid plumbing, since you already have threaded bulkheads I would get a threaded to slip adapter and then glue in to that.  It looks like you have the space.  For the two drains I would bend some rigid PVC to get the slight offset, then glue in (or if you want to be fancy either o-ring and slip, or union).

If all you want to do is not see the algae, black flexible tubing is the easy option, spa flex being another easy option.  If you want to go with rigid plumbing, since you already have threaded bulkheads I would get a threaded to slip adapter and then glue in to that.  It looks like you have the space.  For the two drains I would bend some rigid PVC to get the slight offset, then glue in (or if you want to be fancy either o-ring and slip, or union).Edit: I really prefer at least a short section of flexible tubing on return lines as I find it cuts down on pump noise.Here is how I did my 170 the first time around:View attachment 2902For your drains you'll need something more like this, but with a shallower bend:View attachment 2903

Aquatic Design in Plano sells black vinyl tubing in all sizes, that'll keep you from having to move to hard plumbing if you'd like."]Thanks for the Head up on Aquatic Design having the black vinyl tubing!  I went by there today.... had to make two trips to make sure I had the "right" size tubing.... only to just find out that both bulkheads are different sizes..... One is 1" and the other is.... well... larger.... using a hair dryer and cutting the tubing a little to try and make it work... Hope this ends well. :)