Hanna phosphate meter reading help

Carabelli

Membership Expired
I purchased a low range phosphate meter (green electric version) and received a reading of 5 .. Ignoring my ignorance what is a good target and what does the 5 mean ... Thanks

Phosphorus ULR checker? If so, the reading is ppb. Multiply by 3.066 and divide by 1000 to convert to ppm = 0.0153 ppm

Generally, you want to see less than 0.03 ppm but things like algae growth can give you a false reading as things are taking up phosphate as it becomes available. If you don't have any nuisance algae, cyano, etc. and are getting that range I would say you are in good shape.

yes ... it states it is parts per billion ... I was having issues reading it in numbers I am used to seeing ... thanks for the formula Mike ... so, that is a good reading ... thanks - I do have some valonia but for the most part not too much in the way of algae

I've been meaning to try one of those ULR testers if my regular range one ever dies as it seems like it is a better fit for the levels we are typically concerned with. Assuming you are happy with it so far?

not sure just yet - my first test was last night .. I don't like the powder packets ... too hard to tell if I got all of the powder in there

At least for the regular checker I've found tapping the packet to get all the powder to a corner and then cutting two sides makes it easier. The other thing I do is tap the curvette multiple times a few minutes after shaking and mixing the powder in and then holding the tube up to some strong light as microbubbles can give you false high readings.

no, I went with this one ... http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/phosphorus-ultra-low-range-colorimeter-hi736-hanna-checker-hc-marine-water.html

So what yall are saying is that if there is alittle cyano the hanna phosphate checker will read 0.00 thats what my new cheker keeps reading but i have alittle cyano. I know i have phosphates because of cyano and i was thinking of returning the meter i thought it didnt work.

That kind of makes sense. If you have a strong amount of Algae I could see it throwing off your results. You might try checking just before the lights come on. I noticed that when I had Cyano it would almost disappear during the night and pop back up when the lights come back on. Maybe a trick with the lights, but it would make sense to test when it is during a transition phase. ie. between respiration and photosynthesis.

Mitch