hair algae outbreak

I have a hair algae problem that is starting to spread throughout my tank (jumping from rock to rock), wondering what is the best solution to remedy this problem? I currently run my lights 8 hrs a day from 10, I was told to cut back feeding so now i'm feeding every other day, I have a uv sterilizer going and do weekly water changes. anything else I should be doing or not doing? I have sps and lps corals so keep that in mind. THanks for any help!!!!

But your lights to 4 hrs a day cut feeding to a few times a week, lower your phosphates anyway possible. Good luck, I'm sure others may have some additional advice. Also try manual removal

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

To address your immediate problem while you learn: I'd recommend reducing input (but not so much as to starve your animals) and manual extraction--every day. It's a lot of work, yup. Do weekly water changes (5-10%) with quality RO water. That should keep things from going off the deep end until you get your feet under you. It likely won't be pretty, but it should be manageable until you can figure out a real solution for your particular tank and maintenance routine.

Learning:

IMO, research the internet on nutrient control in reef tanks. There really is a ton of well written information out there. http://www.advancedaquarist.com is a decent starting point and the authors there are generally worth following wherever you can find them. There are several other good sources. Google is your friend.

Nutrient control is a fairly complex topic and it's worth actually studying. And what I mean is by "studying" is reading a bunch of articles online and in books, working through unfamiliar/difficult concepts, and internalizing the information. I guarantee you that if you do this, it's very possible to never have algae problems again. I speak from personal experience.

Following advice you get in forums can be problematic. Not because people have bad information necessarily, but because the information is generally incomplete and there is implied context. For example, the advisor assumes you know about skimming and topoff issues, but you don't.

For simple topics, simple advice is fine, but IMO I don't think this is one of those topics. There's just too many details that you have to know about.

great post- i have been working on the same issue on a friends tank. Its been an issue for over a year until i stepped in. Slowly getting it under control. First do as told- cut lights back and feeding back- i would do a 3 day light out with tank completely covered- please feed the fish in the meantime. Once you uncover th tank, remove the dead algae and do a water change. repeat the process in 10-14 days. During that time run gfo sold each day. Change it once a week. how old are you bulbs? what are they? old lamps can cause this outbreak to become worse. You need plenty of flow as well. raise you Mag to 1400

There is only two things that feed Hair Algae and thats light and phosphates.

things that cause the issue and make it worse.
top-off water has phosphates in it
over feeding
bad PAR from lighting
indirect sunlight getting in tank from windows or doors.