Gyre Pump vs. other Wave Makers

Hey, folks. About to go from a 75 gallon to a new 90 gallon tank (48" long x 18" deep x 25"tall), and I would like to upgrade from normal power heads to a wave maker style pump.

Without spending several hundred dollars (preferably around $200 or less), do any of you have strong opinions on how well the Gyre pumps work vs something like the inexpensive Jebao systems? I like the idea of a slim cylinder on the side of the tank, but I don't have any experience with that style of pump.

Let me know what you think!

Its a hard question to answer as its a moving part and it could last you a month, 6months or years like mine before it craps out. I have no experience with the Gyre pumps but, I dont think they have been on the market long...I may be talking out of turn here.....but, I would say give the gyre a go as they look like they provide a lot of flow and are well supported by the MACNA community. I didnt see many favorable mentions of Jebao (called another name now in USA) but, they worked for me for over two years before giving up the ghost....
JMHO's :)

The Gyre/Cross flow pumps produce a lot of flow. It is also more spread compared to normal propeller units.
You get a layer of flow from end to end of the tank and it set up a circular flow. Across the top, down the end, back to the other end and up.
You may need a small power head or 2 depending on your aquascape.
As for the length of time it lasts. That is a variable you can't really calculate.
Some depends on the quality of the item some depends on luck.
I have replaced automobile engine parts with best quality, brand new parts and had them not as soon they were installed. So the quick death of one item does not necessarily mean the brand is no good. It depends on whether the replacement performs or not. I had a Jebao/Jacod CP-25 Cross Flow wave maker. I was quite pleased with it unfortunately it died after 3 months. A warranty replacement is coming and I will gladly give it the same open mind I did it's predecessor. If it last well I will not condemn the brand.

In any case. I feel that the technology is good, and provides an extremely good flow pattern and amount.
You will just have to look at the reviews of the Gyre vs the Cross Flow and decide where you want to go, with the high dollar Gyre or half priced Cross Flow.
It surely can't cost that much more to produce the Gyre than the Cross Flow.

I appreciate it. It kind of seems like I might like the control of pointing the heads of the Jebao, but I'm tempted by the compactness of the Gyre. Thinking rock placement might help break up the circular flow enough to cause a little more randomness...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the gyres at one end and Jebao or mp40 at the other end of my tanks. I really love the flow of the Gyre but I hate the maintenece. They are also prone to damage from snails and other small animals if you do not use the filter screens.

@Michelle wrote:
I use the gyres at one end and Jebao or mp40 at the other end of my tanks. I really love the flow of the Gyre but I hate the maintenece. They are also prone to damage from snails and other small animals if you do not use the filter screens. said:
That's good to keep in mind regarding the snails!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new Gyres are just arriving and have solved a few of the problems with the first version. The biggest problems being the snail issue and the faulty controllers. Fortunately both are said to be fixed. They also now have 3 different sizes which is nice. From our experience, if you properly place the gyres into the system there is no need for other powerheads. We do run 2 on our sps show tank to get extra flow.

@DNA wrote:
The new Gyres are just arriving and have solved a few of the problems with the first version. The biggest problems being the snail issue and the faulty controllers. Fortunately both are said to be fixed. They also now have 3 different sizes which is nice. From our experience said:
I have a 150 on my 120 gallon. What do you consider proper placement?