Green moonstone - Has feeders!

[Back at the end of July I got a reef tank from my friend after he had problems with it and really no time. All he had left were some red mushrooms, green polyps, brain and a large green moonstone. This green moonstone must weight 10-15 lbs, (I have to weight it some time)! Anyway when I was feeding tonight I noticed that some places on the stone had feeders coming out (feeders look kind of like those on a candycane). First time! So happy, had to share with those who might appreciate it :D]

[What is a moonstone? Are you saying you have some live rock that has something growing out of it?

Do you have some pics?]

[It is an LPS and thus makes it's own "rock". It is about 10" long and 8" wide and heavy. The botton looks like a rock. I have also noticed new growth down on the lower edges that I thought was dead.

greenmoonstone.jpg
alt="">]

[You do know that is a Brain coral? Those are feeder polyps that you see extending out from it at times.]

[I believe it is of the Favia specias and has many names: Brain Coral Closed, Green Moonstone, Moonstone Coral, Modern Coral, Moon Coral, Closed Brain Coral, Honeycomb Coral. Yes, I realize it is not the common name, just the one I prefer since I also have an open brain. Yes I know those are feeder polyps. This is the first time they have extend since I have gotten the coral. Hence the joy, it was in sad shape when I got it from my friend.]

[Hey Rick, That does look like a good link! Thanks. Maybe now I can nail the proper name :D]

Edited By the3dwizard on 1096652506

[Teal,

The only ones I have seen so far have been short (1/2 - 3/4"). They look similar to what I see on my candy canes. Nothing as long as I see on my Galexea.]

Edited By the3dwizard on 1096653080

[Matt, Steve has the same coral in his tank and we have seen that thing send out stinger polyps that at times have been near six inches.]